User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

Re: Is it still feasible to restore older 2-stroke Seadoo?

Being that you didnt say anything about GTX DI, they should be 951cc carbureted models. Actually, that's what you really want. The injected models can be a pain when something electronic breaks.

I've never owned a DI or Orbital Injection model, but read plenty of stories of frustrated owners. When they work, they're great, but when they break, dont count on it being an inexpensive repair. Just my $.02

I absolutely agree with Myself, you definitely want to get a mirror and bright flashlight and look at the engine block for any cracks. The 951 doesn't grenade lightly, it comes apart with a vengeance.

When I picked up my 99XPL one piston had seized completely. The connecting rod broke in half and DESTROYED the crank case. The connecting rod hit the counter balance shaft so violently that it bent it. I had to source a counterbalance shaft as well. Had to search Ebay for a good set of case halves. I think that was $300 at the time.

If I get the chance later on, I'll upload pictures of the carnage.
    Last edited by SpitAndDirt; 09-11-2020 at 02:14 PM.
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."

-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Rides: 2 x 96XP // 99XPL // 02RX Currently rebuilding
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

Found them. Just as bad as I remember.

951 Grenade Pics -- Click Here
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."

Quote Originally Posted by gpounders View Post
    I see a lot of posts here and videos on youtube about restoring older 2-strokes. I have always wanted to restore project but a little afraid to get in over my head. I came across 2 very nice 1999 GTX limited machines that cosmetically looked awesome. The guy said the mechanic said 1 needs a new engine and it just stopped running. The other still runs but has 179 hours so it most likely needs a rebuild soon. They come with double trailer. Is $3500 too much? If so what would be good price. What should I budget for rebuild cost? For the one running could I get away with top end rebuild only? It appears the Nada value is around $2000 for each machine

I also see a lot of 2-stroke machines for sale in my area.
    First if you feel confident repairing a lawn mower, you probably have the skill set required. All the manuals a online free. As far as price it's high, 300-500 is about the going rate for a blown machine. The other one has to be evaluated carefully. Mandatory compression check, easy test to do. I would expect this machine to have even compression numbers between the cylinders around 130/130. Then second ride it, everything is in how it performs. Ride it hard , wide-open throttle. If there are any signs of bogging, overheating,engine cuts out etc this diminishes the value greatly. If you get bad compression numbers it's almost as worthless as the other to a potential buyer. Call it 700.00. If it runs crappy as outlined above but has good compression it's worth 1000.00. And if it runs flawless your at the mercy of the market. Rule number three of buying a ski never be in a hurry there is always a better deal down the road. There plenty of people here that can provide solid advice on your rebuild. Cost of a good oem rebuild done by you is around 1300.00 but in the end it will be priceless. A good oem rebuild is a rebuild/restore includes new crank pistons and bore. A rebuilt fuel system(new lines and carb rebuilds) a pump service and rebuild. Do this and you will get many years of service for your efforts. GL

PWCToday Newbie

@hydro-mike, thanks. Good advice. The guy selling them is just down the street from my lake house. I don't know him well but I can say I have only rarely seen them used. His grandson was riding the good one last weekend and it seem to function really good from what I could see from my house. He said they told him the bad one needed a new engine but he didn't want to spend the money, so they rode it until it stopped. He said it just gradual died. It must have been recent because the registeration was just renewed in July. I did get him down to $2,750 and as much as I want a project, I think I am going to pass. At minimum a top end, carb rebuild, wear ring, etc... will cost me $1000.

On another note, I went to a local dealer yesterday and they had zero inventory of yamahas or seadoos. That is the same across my area. Jet skis were hot over the summer but I expect a slow down now going into fall. I will wait for a good deal on a 4-stroke like the one I bought 3 years ago.

@hydro-mike, thanks. Good advice. The guy selling them is just down the street from my lake house. I don't know him well but I can say I have only rarely seen them used. His grandson was riding the good one last weekend and it seem to function really good from what I could see from my house. He said they told him the bad one needed a new engine but he didn't want to spend the money, so they rode it until it stopped. He said it just gradual died. It must have been recent because the registeration was just renewed in July. I did get him down to $2,750 and as much as I want a project, I think I am going to pass. At minimum a top end, carb rebuild, wear ring, etc... will cost me $1000.

On another note, I went to a local dealer yesterday and they had zero inventory of yamahas or seadoos. That is the same across my area. Jet skis were hot over the summer but I expect a slow down now going into fall. I will wait for a good deal on a 4-stroke like the one I bought 3 years ago.
    Solid decision. Lots of great deals coming, your in no hurry.

I did get him down to $2,750 and as much as I want a project, I think I am going to pass. At minimum a top end, carb rebuild, wear ring, etc... will cost me $1000.

The guy might even drop the price further once the season is over. Then again, I don't know how long the riding season is in your part of Texas.

He may eventually get his asking price and then we'll have a new member asking about his new pair of GTX.....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

PWCToday Newbie

Our season here in south Texas is much like Florida, it can be all year round but typically 8 months a year for sure. March-October. Used ski prices are ridiculous this summer. I see many 2-stroke machine in the 1997-2002 range with asking price > $3K on Facebook Marketplace and PWCtrader.com. I don't know if they are actually selling at that price or just taking advantage of the market right now. I am going to start looking in North Texas or Austin/San antonio area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information