Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Just bought 1996 sea doo xp 800

On test ride ski would launch hard nose right up in air and run full rpm for 30 seconds then hardly have enough rpm to plane and it stays like that until shut off wait 10 seconds start up repeat

next problem sitting on trailer tether removed hasnít been run all day continuously beeps until battery disconnected

trim Iím I can hear noise no movement

No gauges work at all how do I diagnose

TIA been away from sport 10 years my last 2 tried to bbq my thanx to squirrels eating wiring harnesses but my boys rode my brothers ow wanted our own

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

Re: Just bought 1996 sea doo xp 800

Voltage regulator, replace fuel lines, INTERNAL CARB FILTERS NEED TO BE CLEAN.

Disconnect the trim module power supply until you can verify that it's functioning correctly. The glass reed switches under the epoxy potting compound normally fail and then the trim function won't allow the motor move. You may have to remove the trim motor so you can manually spin the internal screw to adjust the jet nozzle to a neutral position and then install the trim motor to lock the nozzle.

If the carbs are clean, compression is good, and wiring/electrical boxes have been verified to be secure and corrosion free, then the voltage regulator is next. The voltage regulator can cause the symptom your describing. The reason is because the voltage regulator fails in such a way that it allows UN-rectified Alternating Current into the Direct Current power system. This causes the MPEM to do all sorts of goofy things to ignition timing thereby making your ski run like you described. Try disconnecting the red wire from the voltage regulator inside the front electrical box and go for a short 5-10 run. If it runs great, you've isolated the problem.
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."

-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Rides: 2 x 96XP // 99XPL // 02RX Currently rebuilding
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

PWCToday Newbie

Is this wire supposed to go to battery ground? I already have one coming out of the plug on top goes directly to battery the main engine ground and two wires on same ring connector that go to other side of ski then appear to go to dash area
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday Newbie

Thanx carb rebuild was next

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

Looks like someone has done some hack wiring. There should be a single small ground wire with a ring terminal that exits from the TOP of the electrical plug under the rubber boot. The wire your arrow points to is apparently an attempt at trying to solve a grounding issue.

The front electrical box gets it ground through the 6 pin connector at the front of the engine. The ground wire leads under one of the bolts that secures the stator. The engine is grounded through the battery cable. If the stator area has been exposed to salt water or has had water sitting in it...the ground connection could be corroded away. The six pin connector at the front of the engine is also susceptible to corrosion or broken pins.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."

-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Rides: 2 x 96XP // 99XPL // 02RX Currently rebuilding
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

Thread Information