Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Check out this cylinder failure. 720

What do you think caused this? Oil injection failure? Damage is only on the carb side.

IMG_20200906_182250.jpg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: Check out this cylinder failure. 720

Lower rod bearing looks good, no discoloration. lack of oil for sure but maybe from water washing the cylinder down?
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

No evidence of water anywhere.

Don't really understand what happened..

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

I would remove the entire oil pump and RV cover assembly and test it for the proper number of drips using a drill. The oil pump may be good, but you could have a clogged/blocked oil injection check valve. On the 720, the oil pump has two check valves, one for each injection line, respectively. The check valves can be unbolted from the pump and cleaned using gumout and low pressure compressed air, but due to age, it might just be a better choice to replace both at the same time during your rebuild.

https://osdparts.com/index.php?main_...oducts_id=4107

This also assumes your internal carburetor micro fuel filters are clean and that the cylinder didn't turn out this way because of a lean running condition.
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."

-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Rides: 2 x 96XP // 99XPL // 02RX Currently rebuilding
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

Quote Originally Posted by SpitAndDirt View Post
    I would remove the entire oil pump and RV cover assembly and test it for the proper number of drips using a drill. The oil pump may be good, but you could have a clogged/blocked oil injection check valve. On the 720, the oil pump has two check valves, one for each injection line, respectively. The check valves can be unbolted from the pump and cleaned using gumout and low pressure compressed air, but due to age, it might just be a better choice to replace both at the same time during your rebuild.

https://osdparts.com/index.php?main_...oducts_id=4107

This also assumes your internal carburetor micro fuel filters are clean and that the cylinder didn't turn out this way because of a lean running condition.
    Well.. Hrmm.. I have a single carb, that I sent out to a forum member to rebuild. I'd assume it was set up properly and not running lean.

I'll inspect the lines and check valves. Thank you.

-- Joe

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Motor was tired & due to fail.

Carb was rebuilt properly.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Let's see the exhaust side and piston top. Too lean will ALWAYS burn the exhaust side of the piston or piston top first.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

I will have to take some more pictures tomorrow, but the exhaust side is perfectly fine.

I was thinking about this earlier, you would think that the bearings would have failed before the piston did from lack of lubrication, no?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Piston will fail first from lack of lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Guy View Post
    Piston will fail first from lack of lubrication.
    That's my assumption, other cylinder is fine. I think I messed up when I disconnected the oil pump and didn't bleed it. maybe. I don't know.

The engine only had 80 hours on it, which is why I put it in the boat (from a crashed ski). Compression was perfect before it blew up. I just want to make sure I resolve the lubrication issue.

-- Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information