Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Drying out wet cylinders? 787 XP

So I got a 1996 XP that has been sitting for 10 years. First thing I did was pull the plugs and put some oil in there and let sit for a few days. When I installed the new battery and cranked the engine over without fuel or plugs I got a lot of liquid shooting out. I cranked on it for quite a bit, then used fogging oil to re lube it, and cranked some more, but liquid keeps coming out. How do I dry out the cylinders? There's still too much moisture in there. I plan on pulling the carbs and rebuilding them along with replacing all the fuel and oil lines. I did do a compression test, but do to the excess moisture i believe, the compression is reading 180 psi in each cylinder. And the ski won't crank with both spark plugs installed. Thanks!

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

Re: Drying out wet cylinders? 787 XP

If there is that much liquid in the bottom of the crankcase, the only thing you can do is keep cranking until it's out. However, while cranking, make sure you install the ignition wires on the grounding points on the rear electrical box or you will certainly overheat your ignition coil.

Without plugs installed, I would try cranking for 30 seconds on / 2 minutes to cool off. Do this 3X and wait 15 minutes and do it again. You should be able to get to a point where is barely any mist coming out of the plug holes while cranking. Don't worry about fogging the motor at this time, you are trying to dry out the cylinders, not add more liquid to them.

After drying out the cylinders, installing the plugs, and it still won't crank...time to evaluate the condition of the starter itself. Is it an original Nippondenso starter(painted white), or an aftermarket Chinese starter(normally black)? This also assumes that the battery is fully charged, and that the cables are solidly connected.

With the plugs installed, can you rotate the engine over using your hand on the PTO?

And what's the back story on this ski? Any pictures?
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."

-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Rides: 2 x 96XP // 99XPL // 02RX Currently rebuilding
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Drying out wet cylinders? 787 XP

It's a new battery and I even had the charger on it. Yes original white Denso starter. I haven't tried turning it over by hand with the plugs installed. I don't know any history on this ski, I know it has sat for 10 years. I bought this with a Kawasaki 1100 stx and a double trailer. I basically got this ski for free. I'm sure it ran 10 years ago and it's pretty dang clean now. This is the only pic I have of it at the moment.IMG_4273.jpg

Thread Information