Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Re: 88 650sx only wants to go after a jump/get air

32 is pretty high, probably too high. Try something around 20. Most carb issues after rebuild are from using wrong spring or incorrect assembly or cheap a/m kits.
    Last edited by JonnyX2; 08-27-2020 at 01:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday Newbie

i ran the ski without the hood, wanted to make sure it wasent getting choked out some how, and you can tell if you give it throttle after idle for a min or parking it goes, then starts to stumble shortly after gets going planes out or almost does, got to be a fuel issue? like when it gets a chance to build up pressure it has enough fuel to go then craps out .

it did this after i put a spring in and had it at 19-20psi pop off too so i dont know. i hate to spend $50 on a genuine keinin or whatever rebuild kit if it doesnt run better, already spent 30-40 on the rebuild kit , half way to the price of a muikini

Aftermarket rebuild kits not a big fan of.There are a few decent ones but oem Mikuni or Keihin is the way to go for not much more in price.
    Carbs are funny run great in the driveway warning up and then you put it in water different results.
    Just installed a brand new Mikuni sbn 44 with primer kit and still had to increase the jet and tone down the idle a bit.
    There will always be dialing in depending on conditions type of gas and location you ride above sea level

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SxiPro's Avatar

Get a genuine Mikuni rebuild kit. Is $45 not worth messing with it for the rest of the season and losing a ton of ride time? Cripes that's one half the cost of a decent meal at a real restaurant, a full meal at a crappy restaurant, or 45 meals at taco Bell. Priorities son!!
    Changes aren't permanent, but change is.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bionic racing's Avatar

Get rid of that 28 mm Kehin

Quote Originally Posted by 7808 View Post
    i used the spring in the kit.

i got the ski with a spring that had almost no hold back pressure, 1-2psi. i replaced it with a spring from the hard ware store cut down then it was at 19 pop off. rebuilt using spring in kit now pop off is around 32
    "spring from the hardware store" wat ? OK keep it low low 30's for now, stock intake.
    Do/Did you have a OEM Keihin Diaphragm in carb to begin with ? I ask so you can compare OEM to this/that aftermarket kit Diaphragm. You've been in this carb with this aftermarket kit a few times I think. To you, do you think this diaphragm appears wet on the plate side ? Your almost there, with what you have, sounds good to rebuild little remote fuel pump, but yeah if it pumps it's pumping. So, diaphragm, pop off, arm level, fuel screw settings.
    '88 550-ride plate,intake grate,intake manfold,carb
    '96 GTX-1mm overbore,F/a's,intake grate,port timed for mid and top end
    '95 FX 1- usually take this motor to 753cc with exhaust porting and reeds

PWCToday Newbie

yeah i found a spring roughly the diameter and cut it down in length until it was around 20psi pop off consistantly (thought that was the target pressure)

honestly it doesnt seem to matter what pop off pressure or high/low screw adjustments are made, it kind of just runs the same. some times it gets up and goes most the time it doesnt i cant find anything besides the getting the pump out of water always seems to make it rip thing .
    dont want to waste more money on this carb rebuild kits are $50-60 if its going to do the same thing and people tell me "ditch the 28mm carb" so i guess ill try to find a new carb setup

PWCToday Newbie

I'm telling you (with no true knowledge other than personal anecdote) it ain't the carb ...

PWCToday Newbie

so the seals leak at higher rpms and engine load? ill try to pressure test it again, last time my crap block off plates failed and were leaking

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information