User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Polaris SLTX '97, "HOT OIL" for a second or two

We switched it over to Premix, so the oil is no longer a question. Now my display no longer even shows the oil level. Yaaay!
    Issue? It will ride like a charm, then the display shows HOT OIL, for a second or two, then goes away. At one point it flashed on the screen and there was no acceleration, again, for a hot second. Then fine. Hit the shore, pulled the seat and nothing is crazy hot. Tossed a couple droplets on the engine and no insanely fast evap. Ideas, thoughts...?

On a second note, anyone know someone in San Diego who will touch Polaris that's reliable? Geez you'd think it carried the plague! Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Frequent Poster

Re: Polaris SLTX '97, "HOT OIL" for a second or two

There's supposedly something you can do with a resistor to trick the oil gauge into thinking it's always full. I was lazy and just plugged the empty line from the oil tank and filled it with old oil and whatever I had laying around. Just make sure the old line is 100% blocked.

The skis go into limp mode when the oil level is low. No one wants to touch these things because it's a pain to find parts. You just have to trick the oil gauge into thinking the tank is full.
    90 Superjet - Coffman pipe, other mods
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - stock graphics, just ported and polished
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - black top, cylinders milled .020, ported, polished, watcon cooling
    95 Kawasaki 750 sxi - R&D pipe, ported, polished, bored 1.5mm over
    01 Polaris 600 sc xp sled - Stock

PWCToday Regular

It could also be an issue with the engine temp sensor. If the sensor is bad it can be unplugged, but I would verify that the cooling system is working correctly first.

Sent from my KING_KONG_3 using Tapatalk

Thank you

If I do need to unplug the therm, do I need to trick the computer somehow like the oil? The engine is definitely not getting hot. I think it may be exactly that.

He took the oil out of the equation so it doesn't even register on the display, but that may very well be what is causing the hick up. Flashing HOT OIL for a couple seconds then going away. I rode it, fully pinned and got her to 53mph then acceleration cut off. I presume that's the "limp" protection.

Anyone know the trick to fool the computer and avoid the limp?

PWCToday Regular

The temp switch can just be unplugged.

That cooling system originally included a thermostat and a spring loaded valve that would open to bypass the thermostat as boat speed increased. If the bypass is stuck the engine will get warm enough to trip the temp switch when running at higher speeds, but the thermostat will still control engine temperature well at lower speeds. It is not uncommon for the bypass to stick. Polaris actually recommended that it be inspected annually if I remember correctly.

Well I sent the pump & impeller to Impros, replaces everything in the pump, o-rings, bearings...
    Checked all the items suggested. Checked that the Thermo was opening in boiling water & it did. Pulled the water bar, checked flow & build up, pulled everything in the water bar out & reinstalled the water bar w/o the Thermo. Sure enough still happens @ WOT. I did note, after pulling the Thermo in the water bar, the piston heads did not get as hot. I’m in so cal so I’m not in extreme temps. I know I’m not the only who has dealt with it. If I avoid WOT she’s fine. So apart from avoiding WOT, where/how to I disconnect?

PWCToday Regular

Everything terminates in the electrical box. I believe it is a tan wire. It can just be unplugged except it may need to be taped or tied back so it can't cause any shorts.

Thread Information