Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

2011 Kawasaki STX-15f

Ok Iím new here and I have gone through Sean trouble shooting thread throughly for this unit.
    Back story we were out riding having fun we stopped for a min to talk and when we got ready to continue my wifeís ski would not start just a click. So I thought no big deal battery or solenoid no good. Got it home changed battery unit would just barely turn over like battery was dead Checked new battery under load it was ok. Took battery out of my ski and tried with it, same thing. So I checked jet pump looked like something had gotten stuck in it. So I pulled jet pump off. Bearing was completely gone just balls and what use to be a case inside cone. While I had pump off tested to see if unit would turn over same thing couple slow rotation and then nothing.checked for spark no spark and no power to injectors. Took ecu off my ski and swapped did not help. Took cover off shaft coupler I can turn motor but it takes some effort. So I removed intake and replaced starter. No change. I believe the crank may have gone out. There is no play in and out at coupleR on engine side prop side goes in and out but it has no pump on so I think it should. I checked cps ok ohms within manual specs, crank case sensor ok also. Any help would be great. Thanks Brian

Re: 2011 Kawasaki STX-15f

See if it will crank with the plugs out. Also can jump the solenoid to tell if it is bad. Worst case - seized piston.
    RACING IS A GOOD EXCUSE FOR MORE TIME ON THE WATER.

PWCToday Newbie

With plugs out it will spin a couple more rotation but not much better and I tried the solenoid from my ski and got the same result. I’m going to borrow a motor lift from a friend today and pull the engine. Thanks

Sounds like it may have eaten the thrust bearings in the cases when the pump took a crap. Did you get any oil pressure warnings?

Sean

The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

1987 Kawasaki JankyStandup Build
    2004 Kawi-Doo STX-RXT-X Build
    2001 Toyota Tundra Basketcase Build

PWCToday Newbie

No sir well at least my wife said she did not see anything or hear any beeps. Itís was running fine we were cruising about 50 stopped to talk and it has never started again. Tried to get the dealer screen up but it will not switch so Iím guessing no codes are stored. Iím going to pull the motor this week. Would you suggest buying a reman motor from SBT or rebuilding the motor I have. I donít see anything in the oil it looks good no particles. I pulled the oil filter when I changed the starter and it was fine also. Today I noticed as I manually turned the motor with a wrench it turned smoothly for about 3/4 rotation then it stiffened up and kind of made a scraping sound the last 1/4 of a turn.
    Last edited by Bkvolker; 08-09-2020 at 06:25 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

It does look as if the impeller traveled forward their are some circular scraps on the hull right in front of where the pump bolts in. They are not present on the other ski.

PWCToday Newbie

I don’t know if this matters in rebuild or not but the ski only has 47 hrs on it.

That is the start of thrust failure.

The motors really aren't too bad to work on but I don't know how much you are comfortable with.

I have no experience with SBT other than their parts.

I would pull the motor, then pull the oil pan off and check it for brass. I would also check the crank float. Depending on how long it ran for after failing, its possible that the rear washer fell off and jammed against the crank.

Sean

The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

1987 Kawasaki JankyStandup Build
    2004 Kawi-Doo STX-RXT-X Build
    2001 Toyota Tundra Basketcase Build

Thread Information