Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

1992 Yamaha Waverunner 500/760 swap

Hey everyone, been a few years since my last build that I posted here. Today I picked up a '92 waverunner that had a 760 "swap" done to it for $250 with the trailer and all the titles and paperwork. I wanted to share the slaughter job of hackery with yall since I think you will be the only people to appreciate it🤣

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 1992 Yamaha Waverunner 500/760 swap

Pics to come!
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home PrickofMisery's Avatar

Score!
    So how is that thing with a 760?

PWCToday Newbie

Its not running, "lost spark over last winter". I got it all torn apart today and its really bad in every aspect haha

PWCToday Newbie

Ok, for the obvious stuff. There were 4 off the shelf toggle switches mounted on the dash, like regular automotive ones. Also some kind of mount for a device on the handle bars, I suspect a fish finder? First bad sign! Then once you lift the hood/steering the added wiring made my head spin. Also if you look you'll see the left side of the steering bracket is gone, to make clearance for the massive exhaust pipe, which was also ground down. The hull around the hood seal was just cut out on both sides as well for clearance
    Last edited by stovetop19; 08-03-2020 at 10:41 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Next we will take a look at the pump and driveline, it looks like the pump came from the same donor ski as the 760 motor. The adapted pump shoe was crudely siliconed into place. The drive shaft was also not long enough in stock form, so it looks like it was cut and then a sleeve was welded in to extend it, although the sleeve actually fits up into the hull, it was not true so the shaft has a bit of wobble.

PWCToday Newbie

So all that butchery aside, I really bought the ski for that 760 motor, knowing that there would be a possibility that it would need rebuilt, but at least its complete with electronics and the dual mikuni carbs. So when i spun the motor at the coupler by hand I had decent compression on one cylinder but the other felt soft. I started yanking all the hoses and cables off to pull the motor out and saw that the cooling lines weren't running straight to the head, there was one going to the rear of the exhaust, then from the front of the exhaust to the head, and from the head out the pisser. Thats another bad sign. So I pulled the head and cylinder and it looks like the crank bearings failed at some point cause you can see the damage from needle bearings on the piston and head on one cylinder. and both cylinders have scoring from what I assume is overheating. I inspected the crank, and it looks to be in good shape, I will know more once I split the cases, but it appears that the crank failed and was replaced but the damaged top end was just reinstalled.

PWCToday Newbie

So this is what I found on day 1 of the tear down this far. Like I said, I figured you guys could appreciate what I'm finding!!

PWCToday Regular Old man rookie's Avatar

The lack of copious amounts of duct tape at this point is a little disappointing.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Old man rookie View Post
    The lack of copious amounts of duct tape at this point is a little disappointing.
    Agreed haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information