Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Minty Stock 1990 SJ... Whats next?

Well this is my first time posting in the Yamaha section... I feel a bit dirty doing it, but I have a few questions about my new, most exciting find Ive ever run across. Not really a barn find, but its a yard find. This 1990 SJ has been under a tarp since 2003, just picked it up last night and I'm looking for some insights. Right now it needs a good deep cleaning in some of the harder to reach areas, and probably a carb rebuild.

I'm going to do a compression test tonight, what numbers should be looking for? I'm currently airing out my garage, pulled the fuel tank and my lord the smell of that gas. Wow.

Looks like a stock impeller is on there now, I figure that will be the only thing I change on the ski, any recc's for a good all around stock ski with a 200# idiot riding it?

Other fun things I have found: The spark plugs are original, with the motor paint still on them. Has the original tool kit with extra spark plugs and all. Insane. I'm over the moon with it!

IMG_6313.jpgIMG_6322.jpgIMG_6321.jpgIMG_6319.jpg

IMG_6318.jpg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: A Minty Stock 1990 SJ... Whats next?

Fuk that thing. Buy a 650sx!!!!!
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bionic racing's Avatar

Solas I prop fix it all , is the tray bubbled ? Original impellor is a 4 blade aluminum .

The turf is in great shape for the age.. what do you mean bubbled?89DBDDF6-6648-402E-AFBF-389134FAB8A6.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Bionic racing View Post
    Solas I prop fix it all , is the tray bubbled ? Original impellor is a 4 blade aluminum .
    Well it’s not 4 blades... please excuse the dirt dobber nest, I clearly didn’t get under it enough with the pressure washer...3EF066E9-B63B-43C8-ACE0-31572A8AB068.jpeg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bionic racing's Avatar

The early superjets usually have a swollen tray, a lump where you stand , not completely flat , that was remedied in 94-95 , flat trays , almost no pearling at low speeds , early hulls pearl , just ride it and get accustomed to it , it's normal , rebuild carb , add battery and get wet

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Get it running, and ride it...

Set it for YOU. The mods list for a SJ is endless. If you ask people what to do to it, all you will get is 10,000 different answers, and opinions. Racers, surf riders, rec riders, freestylers all will have different opinions.

A good impeller is always a good start. Handle bars, and pole spring are other simple upgrades.

Again, it is a Super Jet. The list is almost endless.... RIDE IT, Decide on what goals you have, and how you want the ski to perform, and go from there.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

I dream skis

Solas S is a better choice for a 650 SJ.

Buy a Heavy Duty pole spring from Watcon (i.e., lightened pole handle).
    Learning Slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    Get it running, and ride it...

Set it for YOU. The mods list for a SJ is endless. If you ask people what to do to it, all you will get is 10,000 different answers, and opinions. Racers, surf riders, rec riders, freestylers all will have different opinions.

A good impeller is always a good start. Handle bars, and pole spring are other simple upgrades.

Again, it is a Super Jet. The list is almost endless.... RIDE IT, Decide on what goals you have, and how you want the ski to perform, and go from there.
    I think more than anything I want to keep it as stock as possible, I could be wrong, but Ive never come across a superjet this clean, this stock, with this few of hours... at least here in arkansas.

I like the idea of an impeller, bars, lighten the pole with a spring... Keep it as stock as possible. I got it to pop off last night with a bit of premix in the carb, hummed like a champ, so quiet compared to my x2! Carb kit is in the mail, hunting an impeller now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information