Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

07 fxho with blown motor

Unfortunately I purchased one of these from an older couple. Have all the maintenance records since new. Only had 148 hrs on it when purchased. This thing is mint. Zero scratches on the hull for being this old. In my 4th hr of use I put a rod through the block Insurance wonít cover saying itís a mechanical failure so Iím on the hook for a new motor. Whatís this going to cost me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: 07 fxho with blown motor

More than the machine is worth. Are you mechanically inclined? The block can be repaired. I pieced one together that my wife is currently riding......that is.......if we could ever get enough spare time to go ride.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=258561
    Last edited by Myself; 07-28-2020 at 01:55 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    More than the machine is worth. Are you mechanically inclined? The block can be repaired. I pieced one together that my wife is currently riding......that is.......if we could ever get enough spare time to go ride.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=258561
    Yeah Iím mechanically inclined. But the block is not fixable. I put a rod through it So I need a long block

Frequent Poster

Anything can be fixed if you're desperate enough. That can be welded back up. But the question is if you want to spend the time and money on a 13 year old ski. A long block will cost you more than the ski is worth, and it's not like that ski is rare or special (sorry).

A reman engine from SBT is $2,400. Plus shipping and the work to remove your engine, ship it as a core, then get the new one and install it. Even if you're swapping the engines yourself, that's still lost time.
    90 Superjet - Coffman pipe, other mods
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - stock graphics, just ported and polished
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - black top, cylinders milled .020, ported, polished, watcon cooling
    95 Kawasaki 750 sxi - R&D pipe, ported, polished, bored 1.5mm over
    01 Polaris 600 sc xp sled - Stock

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by pro785 View Post
    Anything can be fixed if you're desperate enough. That can be welded back up. But the question is if you want to spend the time and money on a 13 year old ski. A long block will cost you more than the ski is worth, and it's not like that ski is rare or special (sorry).

A reman engine from SBT is $2,400. Plus shipping and the work to remove your engine, ship it as a core, then get the new one and install it. Even if you're swapping the engines yourself, that's still lost time.
    Not worried about the lost time. I just assumed Iím done for the summer with it. Donít feel like putting the time in to fix myself Was thinking about taking to a shop to do it If itís worth it

NO, you can't pay anybody to fix it, it's just not feasible sinking 5-6000 into 4000 dollar ski. Did you look at my link? 2 holes through my block, bent crank, broken valves, etc. The ONLY way to ake any sense of it will be to do it all yourself.......ORrrr.......part it out and cut your losses and buy another ski.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    NO, you can't pay anybody to fix it, it's just not feasible sinking 5-6000 into 4000 dollar ski. Did you look at my link? 2 holes through my block, bent crank, broken valves, etc. The ONLY way to ake any sense of it will be to do it all yourself.......ORrrr.......part it out and cut your losses and buy another ski.
    Thatís why I posted this. To look for some advice and an approx cost. Thatís crazy to think it would cost that much to get fixed. Guess Iíll be getting rid of it .

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Kgj1119 View Post
    Thatís why I posted this. To look for some advice and an approx cost. Thatís crazy to think it would cost that much to get fixed. Guess Iíll be getting rid of it .

Didnít think it would cost that much to swap a motor

General rule of thumb with most skilled trades.......take cost of materials and times it by 2 for the labor. Of course then there's tax and consumeables. So, the $2400 short block paying somebody to do it, ends up at around $5-5500 !!!!

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Thread Information