Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Buying a 96 780 slt

Hello everyone. Im currently looking to upgrade from my 91 waverunner lx, and and going to be picking up a 96 780 slt. I am very committed to this ski, and i have been told that it has been recently tuned up, and is ready to go. I know polaris has some issues with lean fuel mixtures. i have been reading alot of the stickys that have been posted on several forums. I feel like this should be a good ski. It looks to be in very good physical condition as well. I posted a question about it to reddit and was instantly roasted, and told how terrible of a decision i was making. I am very mechanically and electrically inclined, and 2 strokes do not phase me. I would like to know what some things are i can do to this ski to prolong its life, and negate engine failures. I was also looking for places to buy parts. i heard these have a tri output fuel pump, and should be rebuilt. where can i find a rebuild kit at? any other useful tips on this model of ski? anything would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Blog Entries

Re: Buying a 96 780 slt

My mom has been riding a 780slt issue free for years. They are fun and fairly fast.
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

PWCToday Newbie

thanks Quinc, i was hoping to hear at least one good thing about the ski i have been drooling over for a week now. Do you guys do your own maintenance? do you have any tips to keep it running well? Any tricks that have been learned over the years?
    Thanks!

Frequent Poster

Those blue fuji engines are nearly invincible. I had an SL 750 for my first ski, I rode it so much I wore the bores out and it lost compression. I hydrolocked it several times. We sold it to a neighbor and they are still using it. I beat the ever loving bejeesus out of it as a little kid who just got his boater's permit and it wouldn't die.

Reddit is filled with retards, stop going there. Unless you are retarded too.

Mikuni carbs are extremely standard for carbed two stroke jet skis and you can get them almost anywhere that's worth anything. You're in Iowa so you can probably get them from Rock County Jet Ski, Ziggler is a good guy and he will set you up. He'll probably just ship it to you. But call him and he will set you right.
    90 Superjet - Coffman pipe, other mods
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - stock graphics, just ported and polished
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - black top, cylinders milled .020, ported, polished, watcon cooling
    95 Kawasaki 750 sxi - R&D pipe, ported, polished, bored 1.5mm over
    01 Polaris 600 sc xp sled - Stock

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Supachazzed View Post
    thanks Quinc, i was hoping to hear at least one good thing about the ski i have been drooling over for a week now. Do you guys do your own maintenance? do you have any tips to keep it running well? Any tricks that have been learned over the years?
    Thanks!
    First thing when buying a new ski, I clean the carbs and check compression. Other then that keep water out of it, fog the engine after each ride. Might also be worth replacing the impeller if it has never been done before. All the sticks and rocks and sand that has gone through it over the last 20+ years is going to slow ya down.
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Genuine Mikuni kits, and parts here in stock. Carb kits, fuel pump kits, fuel line by the foot, and more. www.watcon.com
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by pro785 View Post
    Those blue fuji engines are nearly invincible. I had an SL 750 for my first ski, I rode it so much I wore the bores out and it lost compression. I hydrolocked it several times. We sold it to a neighbor and they are still using it. I beat the ever loving bejeesus out of it as a little kid who just got his boater's permit and it wouldn't die.

Reddit is filled with retards, stop going there. Unless you are retarded too.

Mikuni carbs are extremely standard for carbed two stroke jet skis and you can get them almost anywhere that's worth anything. You're in Iowa so you can probably get them from Rock County Jet Ski, Ziggler is a good guy and he will set you up. He'll probably just ship it to you. But call him and he will set you right.
    Those blue fujis are a complete basket case.

Thread Information