Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

About ready to toss in towel. 96 XP fuel issues

I have 2 96xp's

1st one ive had since about 2008. That one ended up eating a screw through the carb, runined the crank. Started rebuilding that one, while was waiting, drove over to Milwaukee WI and bought another in pretty good shape.

Have had that one for about 4 years now. pretty clean all original, everything works. All decals removed and polished up.

This one started giving me issues last year end of season, i put a new pump in it, ran great for most of summer then started bogging out when turning. It got new fuel lines when the pump was installed. Got it out this year, dies every time you turn sharp, at speed or not.

choke choke choke till it starts again or battery dies. Get it running again and it will do straight line all day long, but no turning sharp or spinning circles.

I think i cleaned/check fuel filter a dozen times or so, never seems anything in there, couple specs. So yesterday i pulled the tank think the pickup must have leak or not sure what to expect but just starting tearing eveything apart. I tested the fuel valve, no issues, decided to bypass it anyway. So now its tank to filter to carbs. Drained the tank, cleaned it all up, again some debris but nothing looking like it would cause issues.

Went to test it, of course why not have battery issues with a 2 year old lithium for $200.....ugh. So i stole the agm out of my other one. Got out on lake, got it going, pulling strong, so then i started the turning tests, going right seemed fine. Tried going left at about full speed and as much as you can turn without wiping out, did that for a good 20 seconds then did the old bog and and die thing to me. Had to swim back to boat ramp.....

I have no idea what to do next here other than buy a new spark trix.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1996 Seadoo XP stock

PWCToday Regular

Re: About ready to toss in towel. 96 XP fuel issues

Oh, not sure if either of these ever worked properly. But it seems like if it hasnt ran for a day, should it take about 10 seconds of starter to get the fuel pulled back into carbs? Does the fuel evaporate out or is it supposed to start right away?

At first i thought it was a carb issue, so i swapped the rebuilt carbs from my other one for testing. Same exact thing, always runs out of fuel on turns.
    1996 Seadoo XP stock

PWCToday Newbie

Can't be sure if I'd solve your problem, but take a look at the fuel vents. There's 2 of em, little one way check valves. Maybe...?
    Anyway, good luck and don't throw in the towel, those are the most fun Sea Doo's ever built!

PWCToday Newbie

New to this forum and to Seadoo's too, and this is my first post. Although I do have experience with outboard motors.

Just recently I have started working on a 1993 Seadoo XP for my nephew that is having problems, so I am learning a lot about these machines.

It was surprising to me at first that as mentioned above that there are two small check valve vents connected to the fuel tank. What I've found is that one lets pressure out when it gets too high in the tank, and the other allows air in when the engine tries to suck in fuel. So it would make sense that if either of these are malfunctioning, there may be a fuel delivery problem.

No guarantee that this is the problem, but it sounds like a good guess. I wonder if temporarily bypassing them some how would help rule them out, or one thought is to try loosing the fuel cap when the problem occurs and see if there is positive or negative pressure in the tanks at the time.

I know on an outboard, if the vent is blocked the engine will eventually stall out.

Resident Guru

water in gas (most likely) , cracked pulse lines (pretty likely), fuel tank not sealed (also pretty likely)... the fuel system only has so many components. What you can do is turn your fuel off and blow into the return line to the tank and see if it's holding pressure or not, identify a leak. I would clean the carbs first and drain the gas, new pulse lines. Go from there.
    1994 WB1 1100 conversion - 57mph on GPS

The 720 Stock Twin Carbs are mounted Sideways (Regulators aligned Forward and Aft) to prevent the dreaded "Left-Turn Syndrome". Don't know if an External Fuel Pump was installed; if so, the Orientation of an External Pump matters too as the G forces during the turn can cause the Fuel flow to slow or even stop momentarily.

The issue is with the Rotary Intake Valve, probably a worn out Cover. Do a Search and you will find many Threads covering this exact issue. That's why nobody responded to Jodean. He could have done a simple search and found all this information.

Also do an Engine Air Leak-down Test to find any possible Air Leaks that may cause a Lean condition.

A Guy with a Blaster (Reed Valves, not Rotary Intake) was having the same issue. "Turns out" that Left Hand turns load the Engine more than Right Hand Turns because of the Engine/Impeller Rotation direction, Right Hand Turns favor the Engine Rotation; Left Hand turns work against or "load" the Impeller more.

So the issue with the Blaster was that the Engine was running Lean due to a Leaking Pulse Line/Fitting. Enough Pulse Signal to draw Fuel for the Right Hand Turns but not the Left Hand Turns.

An Air-Tight Engine and a Rotary Intake Valve within Specs will fix the problem.
    Last edited by JC-SuperJet; 01-10-2021 at 12:31 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

My guess is its time to go thru the carbs & rebuild them with genuine mikuni kits.

If you want it done right I rebuild carbs. LMK

Thread Information