Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

hull repair - fiberlgass

Hello All,

I need some help from the repair shops please! I have a rental business and do all my own repairs including damage repairs. The problem is, all the fiberglass repairs that I make start to "come loose" under the water line. All other repairs hold.

I am using expoxy resin (have used different brands) and everything always seems to set up correctly. Just after a few hours of run time, the repairs on the hull under the water line always have problems.

Any tips would be greatly apprciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: hull repair - fiberlgass

What type of epoxy? and if the fiberglass is still wet nothing will bond to it… also very thin skim coats don't adhere well without sanding.. post some pictures of before and after and I can advise more..

Don't use chopped strand mat. It has a chemical binder in it which is only compatible with polyester resin. Use X-mat instead because it is bound by a sewn thread which is compatible with both polyester and epoxy resin.

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/...nytex_x_mat/91
    Last edited by E350; 06-27-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    Learning Slowly...

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by cleetus View Post
    What type of epoxy? and if the fiberglass is still wet nothing will bond to it… also very thin skim coats don't adhere well without sanding.. post some pictures of before and after and I can advise more..
    Thanks for the responses guys. I am using an MarPro epoxy resin with the slow hardner. Also using the MarPro fiberglass cloth (not the stranded mat stuff). Again, I have used different resins - used the Bondo Fiberglass resin from Lowes for a while - its didn't last either...

I am doing a repeat hole now that I've already started. I'll take some pictures of that - hopefully that will get you what you need to see!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

You are using crap resin and cloth and expecting a good result, it's not going to happen. Get some US composites resin, order some decent fiberglass cloth from them while you are at it, do not use chopped mat, also get cabosil and fairing compound to mix with the epoxy, use the epoxy for everything start to finish no automotive BS and your issues will disappear.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 06-28-2020 at 09:15 PM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    You are using crap resin and cloth and expecting a good result, it's not going to happen. Get some US composites resin, order some decent fiberglass cloth from them while you are at it, do not use chopped mat, also get cabosil and fairing compound to mix with the epoxy, use the epoxy for everything start to finish no automotive BS and your issues will disappear.
    Well thank you. This is the type of information I was looking for. I don't know the difference between crap resin and world class resin.

jslayde1 Everyone here seems to use US Composites and have good results. I use Fiberglass Hawaii out of Ventura California because I have been buying from them for years. Allot of other people use West systems resin from West Marine and swear that it is the best and I have used it without problem. I love their MarineRX epoxy putty BTW.

There is a little more discussion regarding fiberglass over at the Construction subforum at BoatDesigns.net:

https://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/

Our old stand up jet skis are made out of SMC, and I believe that your rentals are too.

Search for SMC in that forum link above.

And finally, here is a link to a thread by a guy who just did a whole lot of fiberglassing on his SMC ski. PM him about your problem:

http://x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/1...0#post-2059145
    Last edited by E350; 06-29-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    Learning Slowly...

^ Great Advice

To give it a chance of sticking, rough it up with 80grit at least, blow it out with clean shop air, clean it with acetone, wipe it with a tack cloth, then with acetone again. It has to be totally dry, use a heat gun if needed.

You also need to top coat it with something.

Sean

The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

1987 Kawasaki JankyStandup Build
    2004 Kawi-Doo STX-RXT-X Build
    2001 Toyota Tundra Basketcase Build

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by E350 View Post
    jslayde1 Everyone here seems to use US Composites and have good results. I use Fiberglass Hawaii out of Ventura California because I have been buying from them for years. Allot of other people use West systems resin from West Marine and swear that it is the best and I have used it without problem. I love their MarineRX epoxy putty BTW.

There is a little more discussion regarding fiberglass over at the Construction subforum at BoatDesigns.net:

https://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/

Our old stand up jet skis are made out of SMC, and I believe that your rentals are too.

Search for SMC in that forum link above.

And finally, here is a link to a thread by a guy who just did a whole lot of fiberglassing on his SMC ski. PM him about your problem:

http://x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/1...0#post-2059145

Ah, thats perfect. Thank you very much!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

I gree with pretty much everything Smoky said except the part about using the heat gun, you want to avoid anything that creates heat, SMC has the mold release made into the material , heat make it rise to the top and then nothing sticks to it, you would be better off hand sanding the SMC with 40-50 grit prior to glassing , using acetone for cleaning is a damn good idea also.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Thread Information