Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Guru

Submersible Trailer Lights DIY?

What makes trailer lights submersible? I have a LED harbor freight lights.
    Can I pull it apart and coat it with Silicone and seal it up to make it sealed?

Are LED lights sealed or do they drain?
    2004 Honda Aquatrax R12 - LOVING fuel injection 4 stroke, no more carbs!!

85' Kawaskai JS550 - PRISTINE condition
    2003 Suzuki GSX-R1000

96 SeaDoo XP - Sadly missed after my family outgrew its size (2007 -- sold 2013)

Re: Submersible Trailer Lights DIY?

So basically the Led ones should last a long time.. the lights usually go out because of the hot bulb cracking in the cold water.. (and of coarse corrosion).. I don't think they can be sealed enough to not allow the water in..

PWCToday Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cleetus View Post
    So basically the Led ones should last a long time.. the lights usually go out because of the hot bulb cracking in the cold water.. (and of coarse corrosion).. I don't think they can be sealed enough to not allow the water in..
    Thanks! I did not know that about conventional bulbs.

These LEDs did not say that that are submersible, so that is why I am trying to figure out what is the difference between submersible LEDs and regular LEDs, and maybe I can just put silicone on the circuit board?
    Last edited by Professorman; 06-04-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Blog Entries

If you have an LED light that you can take apart you will see that it most likely has two Chambers both with holes near the bottom for any water that does get in them. They still work similar to the old ones where they trap are to keep the water from getting in but being electronically sealed it only takes a little bump for them to become flooded at which point they will fry. I siliconed all of the factory welds and the holes on mine and have not had any issues yet.

LED lights do not get as hot as reg light bulbs. please keep in mind, even if you do put submersible LED lights on your trailer ?, unless you seal the wire connections from your truck/car where you attach the wires to the lights ?, it still has the chance to short out something !. seal the connections with shrink tubbing, then your chances of using LED lights on your trailer will be so much better in the long run !. as for lights from harbor freight ?..ehhh..no way would i use them, dont trust them at all.

Harbor freight lights are probably ok but they're not going to be the latest design or best quality.
    My trailer came with big standard surface-mount lights with big side marker warts sticking out. They were cracked, leaking and worked only occasionally.
    I bought surface mount submersible LED stop-turn-tail lights (3-wire) and got some sealed marker lights short enough to fit INside the bumper for protection.
    These are way less obtrusive than the OEM lights and should last years with no attention.
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]560339
    ATTACH=CONFIG]560340[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by guy48065; 07-04-2020 at 08:53 PM.
    96 & 97 1100Zxi

Quote Originally Posted by guy48065 View Post
    Harbor freight lights are probably ok but they're not going to be the latest design or best quality.
    My trailer came with big standard surface-mount lights with big side marker warts sticking out. They were cracked, leaking and worked only occasionally.
    I bought surface mount submersible LED stop-turn-tail lights (3-wire) and got some sealed marker lights short enough to fit INside the bumper for protection.
    These are way less obtrusive than the OEM lights and should last years with no attention.
    20200308_164813.jpg
    not bad !. my triton trailer came with LED from the factory.

Thread Information