1993/1994 SeaDoo GTX Engine Replacement; Special Tools, Timing, and Compatibility
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1993/1994 SeaDoo GTX Engine Replacement; Special Tools, Timing, and Compatibility

Hello Everyone,
    I'm about to start my first jet ski repair.
    I have a 1994 GTX with an extremely clean hull, but had a bad cylinder.
    I also have a 1993 GTX engine to go into it, lets call it a long block- no electronics/flywheel and no intake or exhaust.

I was browsing the service manual on how to perform the swap, this seems pretty easy only needing the alignment tool.

Problem is installing all the dressings.
    Seems Ill need a $300 top dead center alignment tool, a position indicator wheel, a stator alignment ring, and I'm sure something else I'm forgetting.
    Does everyone that does this swap buy these tool to do it? Or is there a work around I'm not finding.

Also,
    My donor motor was a single carb motor, ski is a dual carb setup. Will the dual swap over okay?

I'm also thinking this ski mixes its own fuel/oil. I'm thinking about bypassing that, and just premixing it. Good idea?

Re: 1993/1994 SeaDoo GTX Engine Replacement; Special Tools, Timing, and Compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by bxb301 View Post
    My donor motor was a single carb motor, ski is a dual carb setup. Will the dual swap over okay?

I'm also thinking this ski mixes its own fuel/oil. I'm thinking about bypassing that, and just premixing it. Good idea?
    I don't know about the alignment tools, but there shouldn't be any problems with the dual carbs setup. The wire controls both of them at the same time.

The oil injection pump is usually reliable. However the two small oil lines are not. I inspect mine before every ride. The original lines tend to get brittle because of the paint on them. If you'd like to keep the pump, I'd suggest changing the oil lines (2x 6~8 inches of 2 or 3mm lines, plus 4 appropriate size clamps or 4 tie-raps if you like living dangerously). Otherwise there are ways to bypass that system but I don't know much, there are some threads on here explaining how to do it, if you don't mind premixing your gas every time.
    '95 SPX

Re: 1993/1994 SeaDoo GTX Engine Replacement; Special Tools, Timing, and Compatibility

1994 GTX has a 657 motor , 1993 GTX should have had the 587. The motors are not interchangeable without electronic change since the 587 electronics has a lower rev limit than a 657 motor. You should not need any of the major tools. If you use the same motor the work can be done in the ski and then alignment is not an issue.

I could sell you a good 657 cylinder and piston (on the cheap) and you can make that work if that is all that is wrong with the 657 motor. All you will need is a top end gasket kit.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hafweigthr View Post
    1994 GTX has a 657 motor , 1993 GTX should have had the 587. The motors are not interchangeable without electronic change since the 587 electronics has a lower rev limit than a 657 motor. You should not need any of the major tools. If you use the same motor the work can be done in the ski and then alignment is not an issue.

I could sell you a good 657 cylinder and piston (on the cheap) and you can make that work if that is all that is wrong with the 657 motor. All you will need is a top end gasket kit.
    Tell me more good sir...

Thread Information