Bought a double with a bonus XIR
pxctoday

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    PWCToday Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4

    Bought a double with a bonus XIR

    I've been out of the Jet Ski world for a long time, sold my last ski in 2002. I've since bought a boat but it became too much of a hassle to store, so I sold it last year. I have wanting to get another Jet Ski for a some time and want to get a pair so I started looking at used jet skis a few weeks ago. I found a couple that I wanted but only came with a single trailer and they didn't have a trailer. So I started looking for a used double trailer and found one that came with a 1994 Kawi XIR Jet Ski. The owner didn't know much about it other then it ran and he used all last season. I never heard of a XIR either but did some research and found out how special they are. It looked ok in the pictures and at the price I knew I could either sell it as it or part it out if turned out be a mess.

    I went and looked at the trailer and XIR a couple weeks ago, the owner kept it in a storage unit and didn't have a way to put a water hose on it and he was unwilling to take it to the lake. I figured that I was really only buying the trailer and the XIR was just a bonus. The looked in good/fair condition for the age, needs some TLC but was solid. The XIR had a 2019 battery but it was dead, we jumped it with his car just to see if it would crank over and it fired up with a few pulls on the primer. We let it idle for a few seconds and I did a couple of short revs, overall it sounded good. The engine looked to be new for a 1994 ski but there some oil residue in the bottom of the hull, not puddled but it was messy in there. The impeller has some small nicks/chips but nothing major, the nozzle/steering is good, and pump bearing felt tight. Cosmetically it needs some TLC, the hull/keel doesn't have any major scratches/cracks, traction mats are rough/gone, the front hood has a small crack/chip but still functions, and the seat needs to be recovered. Overall for a 26 year old Jet Ski it was in good shape.

    I got everything for $950, got home and hooked it up to the water hose and jumped it off with my Jeep and it fired right up without using the primer. It ran really good, just need to get in the water and tested under load. I don't have a compression tester, so haven't checked compression yet. I did clean up the inside of the hull, I think a bottle of premix oil had spilled because I found two uncapped/empty bottles in the front by the gas tank. The electrical looks to be in good condition too. Over I'm happy with the purchase and feel I got a great deal.

    Took it to the lake on Sat. Everything worked and it ran perfect. I donít have much jet ski experience to base the handling on but feels really nimble. Which I figured it would be a great handling ski. In 1998-02 I had a GP1200 and from memory it felt different and was definitely quicker/faster. I also have a 03 GP1300R which I plan on riding and wasn going to let my daughter or wife ride the XIR. I just think may be too much to handle for them but I will wait till the weather warms up more so they can decide for themselves. I enjoyed the ride today and feel like I got a heck of a deal on it.

    I installed Blacktip traction mats and thought I got a good deal on a used seat with newer cover. The seat didnít fit, it was for a SS/SSXi and the guy I bought it from says that the hulls are the same as the XIR and the seat should fit. The seat I bought won't slide far enough forward for it to latch down. So I am trying to return it and will get a blacktip seat cover.

    IMG_2826.jpgIMG_2827.jpgIMG_2828.jpgIMG_2829.jpgIMG_2835.jpgIMG_2864.jpgIMG_2865.jpgIMG_2866.jpgIMG_2869.jpgIMG_2870.jpg

  2. #2
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago / Portage, MI
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,549

    Re: Bought a double with a bonus XIR

    Welcome back to the jet ski world. And what a fine return! That xir looks to be in pretty good shape. Most desirable aspect for these is a clean hull with the decals all intact. Yours looks really good.

    The seat is different. It is bigger and cushier. I would talk to Jettrim about that. I would trust that they'd have the right shape for the xir. They also make some really nice products too.

    The xir stock is a mixed bag. The hull is amazing, it's just that the power is not sufficient to push it anywhere near its capability. It's not too different if you install a factory pipe. I went all out on mine with a superstock 800 and the best wet pipe made for it. With almost double the power it's a fun ski. One of my fondest memories is how much more nimble and quick it was compared to my friend's GP800. It was like comparing a Porsche 911 to a semi truck.

    The hull is the real prize on these skis. Kawasaki got it so right. In my mind this is the golden age of sit downs. Everything after this and the Sea Doo XP got bigger, more comfortable, and progressively more bloated. These were the sports cars of the sit down world. I mean with gas the xir is still way under the weight of just about any stand up with a 1100 engine, or definitely a 4 stroke one.

    Good luck and have fun! Post up if you have any questions.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.8mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [47.8mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1995 SJ MINT:
    [TBD]



  3. #3
    PWCToday Guru veedubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    444

    Re: Bought a double with a bonus XIR

    Glad someone bought that thing. I was in contact with the owner about looking at it to purchase but there were so many red flags popping up. How was the buying experience? Did you feel unsafe at at? Him and his sister were very hard/sporadic to deal with. One guy I talked to that looked at it said he felt as if the guy was going to rob him . Anyway glad you got it. If you ride on Allatoona letís hook up a ride together sometime. Iíd love to see the XIR in person.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    charlotte,nc
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,364

    Re: Bought a double with a bonus XIR

    ive got a factory pipe xir chamber and down pipe if anyone is looking just no manifold and headpipe
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

    build thread part 1: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=331343
    build thread part 2: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=364872
    build thread part 3: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=396154

  5. #5

    Re: Bought a double with a bonus XIR

    Awesome!! Thanks for saving from the jetski trolls.

  6. #6
    PWCToday Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4

    Re: Bought a double with a bonus XIR

    Quote Originally Posted by theVetteman3 View Post
    Welcome back to the jet ski world. And what a fine return! That xir looks to be in pretty good shape. Most desirable aspect for these is a clean hull with the decals all intact. Yours looks really good.

    The seat is different. It is bigger and cushier. I would talk to Jettrim about that. I would trust that they'd have the right shape for the xir. They also make some really nice products too.

    The xir stock is a mixed bag. The hull is amazing, it's just that the power is not sufficient to push it anywhere near its capability. It's not too different if you install a factory pipe. I went all out on mine with a superstock 800 and the best wet pipe made for it. With almost double the power it's a fun ski. One of my fondest memories is how much more nimble and quick it was compared to my friend's GP800. It was like comparing a Porsche 911 to a semi truck.

    The hull is the real prize on these skis. Kawasaki got it so right. In my mind this is the golden age of sit downs. Everything after this and the Sea Doo XP got bigger, more comfortable, and progressively more bloated. These were the sports cars of the sit down world. I mean with gas the xir is still way under the weight of just about any stand up with a 1100 engine, or definitely a 4 stroke one.

    Good luck and have fun! Post up if you have any questions.
    Thank You! I don't care for the newer big skis, the GP1300R that I bought after getting the XIR feel bigger then my old GP1200. I had a blast on the XIR at the lake last weekend, you are right it does need more power but I'm going leave as is for right now. I want my daughter to get a feel for it before doing anything, she may not like it and then I can do some modifications.

  7. #7
    PWCToday Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4

    Re: Bought a double with a bonus XIR

    Quote Originally Posted by veedubs View Post
    Glad someone bought that thing. I was in contact with the owner about looking at it to purchase but there were so many red flags popping up. How was the buying experience? Did you feel unsafe at at? Him and his sister were very hard/sporadic to deal with. One guy I talked to that looked at it said he felt as if the guy was going to rob him . Anyway glad you got it. If you ride on Allatoona let’s hook up a ride together sometime. I’d love to see the XIR in person.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah the owner was sketchy and I without a doubt think he was a addict. I showed up with a Sig and a German Shepard, so I felt safe! LOL He was asking $1150 I offered $850 and we agreed on $950, he said that someone from SC was wanting to come get it if I didn't buy it. I feel like I get a solid $600 double ski trailer and smoking deal on cool Jet Ski. I am down in the Newnan, GA area and go to West Point Lake but would like to go to some of the cleaner lakes above ATL.

  8. #8
    PWCToday Guru veedubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    444

    Re: Bought a double with a bonus XIR

    Quote Originally Posted by nezsm View Post
    Yeah the owner was sketchy and I without a doubt think he was a addict. I showed up with a Sig and a German Shepard, so I felt safe! LOL He was asking $1150 I offered $850 and we agreed on $950, he said that someone from SC was wanting to come get it if I didn't buy it. I feel like I get a solid $600 double ski trailer and smoking deal on cool Jet Ski. I am down in the Newnan, GA area and go to West Point Lake but would like to go to some of the cleaner lakes above ATL.
    Nice! Glad you went prepared! Hit me up if you come up our way this summer. We have a cool group of guys and gals that ride pretty much every weekend on Allatoona.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0