Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Square nose build

I probably shouldn't be starting this thread because I have two others going already and progress on this one will be slow, but it has been started so here goes. Square nose Superjet hull that I got disassembled in boxes, I traded a Waveruner lll hull for it. So all the missing pieces need to be rounded up, of course I have all the basic stuff here 701x engine , exhaust pipe and carb and a 144 pump. I need a driveshaft and possibly a midshaft an intake grate and a ride plate.

The plan is to build the ski like I am going to keep it, honestly I have never liked Superjets but I decided to build this to my specs, set it up like I want it and give it a fair shake, worst that can happen is I like it, if not someone ends up with a really nice ski with al the bugs worked out, really can't go wrong either way.

In my quest for parts I also ran across a Carter B rocker kit a friend of mine was selling so I bought it thinking it could be made to work on the square nose ski, it does with some cutting and mods as in the pics below. This ski had footholds they were not put in properly and the foam is waterlogged so that's next on the list. the ski also has a rear scupper installed with a one way valve , I am leaving that as is.

Even though it had rear exhaust some idiot bought a Blowsion exhaust exit and put the exhaust on the right side of the ski, I removed the exit and sold it and glassed in the hole.Here is where it sits right now, front has been chopped off and the rockered nose kit installation has been started , and yes that is a 300SX handlepole I am probably installing on the ski, more on that later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 03-15-2020 at 07:31 AM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Re: Square nose build

I found a guy on Ebay that makes custom Derlin bushings to your specs, so I am measuring everything up today and sending him the info, this will make the handlepole a bolt on affair using the stock mount and handlepole bolt , of course I will have to change out the subplate to one that accepts regular handlebars.

That will get it onto the mounts , there are some more alterations that will need to be done to make it fit the hood and I will need to add a piece to the front of the cover to mask the pivot area, I should have a spare cover left over from my 300SX conversion ski that I can use for that purpose.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 03-15-2020 at 09:39 AM.
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

So I got it loaded on the stand, these are industrial work carts from the automotive industry they are super strong with large casters, they even roll on dirt, One of them I cut down to regular height but this one is still the way it came.

I got everything measured up and submitted on the bushings s we will wait to hear back on that , I also cut the cover off the handlepole and with the flare removed from the sides , it will work perfectly, I will glass the pieces back on and smooth everything out later. I will also shorten it up an inch or two. it's really easy to do on these style handlepoles.

I need to work on a spring next, I hate heavy handlepoles , actually this one really isn't heavy at all but the lighter the better. I looks almost like it was made for it, it follows the hood lines perfectly.

You can see some of the patches that were made to this hull, this thing led a hard life before I got it. There are several more on the bottom and one on the other side where the exhaust exit was.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 03-15-2020 at 06:13 PM.

You can never have too many builds going!
    The more the better.
    I dont post much in other people's builds, but I do lurk and watch. And sometimes even learn a thing or two.
    Keep em's going, WFO
    2017 Jet Jam Racing "Region 2" Sport GP Champion

Thank you sponsors....

Reno KTM
    DirtTricks
    Reno / Tahoe Watercraft Connection
    Hunt & Sons / VP Racing Fuels
    Garate Enterprises (The Powder Man)
    On the Mark Construction, Reno NV

I am hoping I can get this going for a few hundred bucks, I have the paint already and I have the turf, just a few parts missing I can buy here and there. Or maybe I will do like Clay Simmons and beg on the street corner for jet ski parts lol.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 03-15-2020 at 07:42 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

That 300sx pole actually doesn't look too bad on there. Used it because you had it sitting around or some other reason?

I don't like my square, but it makes me appreciate pretty much every ski I have that much more, especially the newer SJs. Plus it's got purple on it which my toddler daughter loves.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake, PWR ride plate [47.3mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, Coffmans Sizzler [48.5mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1995 SJ MINT:
    Worx 205 intake [42.5mph gps]

The 300SX pole has many advantages , it is light, it doesn't break and it is easily modified to make it shorter, I think I can go negative two inches by just cutting the tubing and redrilling the holes, on my 300sx build I cut the tubing on the other end , removed the end pieces and had them rewelded and redrilled the holes and I went negative four inches, plus it was free , that always helps.

I do plan to redo the funky bar pad and shorten it up like I did on the 300 build.

The Ebay guy hit me back today $22.00 shipped for the two custom made bushings, that is a smoking deal if you ask me !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192461083932?ul_noapp=true
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 03-16-2020 at 07:41 AM.

He did tack on shipping charges , the total is still only $26.99 with Alabama sales tax added, still a really good deal. I did a lot of cutting , fitting and grinding on the rockered nose yesterday, it is ready to be glued up today, I am working without a template or instructions so basically I just had to go slow, make small cuts, grind a few places here and there till it fit like I wanted it to. I am pretty happy with it so far.

The plan of attack here is to mix up some epoxy and cabosil and hit every place where it makes contact on the hull or overlaps, I left quite a bit of overlap on the bottom, I have all the edges tapered and once it is all buttered up I will drill and pop rivet it into place, when that's dry I will remove the rivets fill the holes and glass everything in, then with the ski standing on its nose I will glass the nose up, then the sides and the bottom. I will post a few pics of the progress up along the way
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 03-17-2020 at 07:37 AM.

300SX sublplate modded to fit regular bars, this was not a fun process, first I ground the rivets flush then I drilled through them, then I mounted the plate in a vice and heated the holders and with a large pipe wrench I was able to get them free, but I also had to drill through the holes in multiple places then heat, twist the bars with the pipe wrench and hammer on the pipe wrench to get them out.

I cut the aftermarket bars at the vee bend equal on both sides, then I found a spade bit and ground off the point, I resharpened the end and sharpened the two sides and guided it through the holders, I also had to file the bars down and hit them with sandpaper to get them to go back into the holders, i had top hammer them back in and I will most likely drill the bars and tap them through the rivet holes to accept flat head allen screws for retention.

I also may just weld the bars on if I get my tig set up soon enough.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 03-17-2020 at 04:22 PM.

And the two have now become one, I am really amazed at how close the body lines are going to be, there will be minimal fairing and filling on this one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information