Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: Square nose build

I removed the louvers on top of the hood and moved them to the back of the hood , the Left side is glassed back in and I started on the right side this morning, 1 1/2" PVC was cut in half and epoxied in place, I haven't decided if I am glassing over it or just painting it black and calling it good. Basically this will use the stock intake system under the hood but pretty much any water getting in the rear vents will now go out the back of the hood .

The foam blocks in the hood were removed and a hole opened up into the rear of the chamber box to tie these new intakes to the hood vent system. 1/12" PVC cut in half worked out to be just the right size.

I have blue foam stuffed into the holes on top right now but I will most likely replace it with expanded PVC 1/4" and glass over it to fill the holes back in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

So I finally got most of the hood done, it did not go well, somehow I glued the other vent in backwards so I had to scrape all that nasty mess off and start over.

I did have an idea though I cut an elbow in two then cut that part in two, I then opened up a hole to the hood corner and plumbed it back to the hole, now any water entering these vents will just go right out the bottom corner of the hood.

The first pic is the side that has not been opened up yet, second pic it is opened up and half the elbow installed, third pic is down through the corner of the hood.

The vents were purposely put in in that direction to direct water down and out, air will find it's way in.

Also the holes the vents came out of are no longer holes, I used the blue foam pieces as a backer, wedged them in tight then glassed over them, lots more glassing to do but no more holes in the hood.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 08-10-2022 at 09:19 AM.
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

Laid up the rest of the glass to fill the hood holes. There are a couple of things going on here, first I put down some masking tape to keep dripping epoxy off the rest of the hood then I laid up the cloth and resin, this cloth is fairly thick and does not like to go around tight curves .

I didn't want to bother with pulling a vacuum on this small piece so I wrapped it with saran wrap to supply some pressure on the outside, then I added the battery to apply pressure on the inside, it pulled the edges down nicely, some of the saran warp will of course stick because epoxy is some wicked stuff but it sands right off.

I removed the saran wrap yesterday and pulled a coat of medium density filler, if I was using West Systems they make a medium density filler, alas I am using US composites so I made my own medium density filler by adding some cabosil to the US Composites phenolic resin filler, it makes a filler that is much tougher and more structural but less sanding friendly.

I let that cure overnight and hit it with the DA this morning , it's close and another light coat of fairing compound and some hand sanding with a block will get it there and be a lot easier to sand.

I am far enough along to do some mock up photos for those of you that thought I ruined a SN by putting the 300SX pole on it, trust me this ski was a mess when I got it and there was nowhere to go but up, this is pretty much what it will look like except maybe the pole pad, that's still up in the air at this point, I may cut it down and reshape it like I did on the 300SX or I may just make a whole new pad, not sure just yet.

I will probably extend the cover a little on the front and tighten up the hole left there, I still have a SN handlepole I can work off of for the shape, the 300SX handlepole cover was cut at the corners and squared off because the stock cover flares out and will not fit the SN hood, it was then glued back together with epoxy and glass, the corners still need to be rounded off so I am not done shaping it just yet.

I haven't measured the pole against a stock SN pole but it appears to be somewhat shorter, at any rate it feels pretty good where it's at when I stand on it, we will know after I get it floating and under power.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 08-10-2022 at 09:23 AM.

Working on the handlepole cover right now, the 300SX handlepole cover is a really weird piece, it is made from two pieces thermally welded together and overlapped, on the 300SX I cut a lot of that mess off and glassed it up.

I am thinking of doing the same here but given the sheer amount of glassing ,fairing and filling I may just use the shell as a plug and make a whole new visual carbon fiber cover, it needs a lot of reshaping to make it fit the hood and body lines properly.

I have all the materials here to do it.

The thing is I have done plenty of FRP and carbon repair work before but I have never done visual carbon before so we will see how that particular endeavor turns out.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 08-10-2022 at 09:30 AM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Nice......you actually found some time for your own stuff! I've recently cleaned all my HX engine parts up and will be reassembling it soon. Haven't had a chance to touch my wife's SN for quite some time.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Nice......you actually found some time for your own stuff! I've recently cleaned all my HX engine parts up and will be reassembling it soon. Haven't had a chance to touch my wife's SN for quite some time.
    Yeah that was easy . I just stopped working on everyone elses stull lol

I started on the handlepole yesterday with the DA sander and some 40 grit paper, I was able to round the corners some but not enough, so this morning I started at it with the grinder and flap disc. if some is good them more has to be more better right ?

At any rate I was able to get the corners rounded nicely but hey why stop there ?

When I did the 300SX I ground the joint down and glassed over it so I did the same on this one, I also laid up some tape on the corners and a couple of layers on both sides and filled in the depression with a few layers of glass, when that dries I am going to do some reshaping with two part foam and glass over that to give it a more rounded shape.

That hump you see on the pole is necessary for the steering cable to bend up into, on the 300SX i believe I drilled through an aluminum support and ran the cable through it, I could do the same here but I probably won't.

Yep it's ugly , I can make it a lot better quickly

It don't take long when you know what you are doing, this is basically the shape and it looks like it was made that way.

Now I just have to sand that down about an 1/8 ' to make room for the glass and fairing compound . solidify the foam with epoxy, . glass it and finish it off with fairing compound.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information