Largest PWC

Superstore

Collapse

Trailer tamer: anyone try wide snowmobile trailer wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guy48065
    PWCToday Regular
    • Feb 2020

Trailer tamer: anyone try wide snowmobile trailer wheels?

Do fat snowmobile trailer tires ride better than the stiff/bouncy 4.80x8-12 tires my trailer came with?
    96 & 97 1100Zxi
  • WFO Speedracer
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Aug 2006

Re: Trailer tamer: anyone try wide snowmobile trailer wheels?

No not really , what usually happens with those is that they flat spot from sitting then the trailer bounces all over the place for about 30 minutes to an hour till the tires heat up enough to round back out, also they will float the whole trailer when you back it in and take the skis off of it.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 03-10-2020, 08:10 AM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• guy48065
      PWCToday Regular
      • Feb 2020

Originally posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
      ...also they will float the whole trailer when you back it in and take the skis off of it.
      First time I've heard THAT! Last thing I need to deal with is my trailer drifting with the current while I'm trying to line up to load.
      96 & 97 1100Zxi

Comment

• beerdart
        • May 2005

Originally posted by guy48065 View Post
        Do fat snowmobile trailer tires ride better than the stiff/bouncy 4.80x8-12 tires my trailer came with?
        I use them and the ride quality is greatly improved. And no your trailer does not float when empty.
        4-Tec Jetmate
        2004 MSX 4-Tec 1500SC
        T-45 4-Tec GPRXP
        1995 785pro Three Seat Triple
        1993 750 Super Chicken.

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by beerdart View Post
          I use them and the ride quality is greatly improved. And no your trailer does not float when empty.
          As a guy that hooks to and pulls trailers constantly and on a daily basis I am calling bull sh!t , don't mind Beerdart he just likes to follow me from site to site and argue, oh one more important thing he is never wrong .
          hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

Comment

• Matt Braley
            • Dec 2011

They do float the lighter trailers. The drifting is not the largest issue either. My poor friend bought a mint ski that just had one little "boo boo" near the eyelet. I saw those pontoon trailer style wheels on it and thought "hmm that looks pretty legit". After his first ride he went to nudge it up the bunks while loading...... pushed the tires down and gouged out a spot right next to the initial damage. He went back to stock tires and spent some money at the fiberglass shop.

I do like them on the double trailers as long as the fenders fit OK. I feel like they wear slower and are less likely to fail. If the fenders don't allow the wide ones they might have room for 5.30X12's and that's a nice step up from the 4.80's

Comment

• Myself
              • Jun 2006

I have a customer with a smaller double trailer that barely fits an HX and an RX. It rides nice and smooth with the fat tires and I've had it in the water many different times through the years and never thought it was going to float away. I could however see that happening on a single trailer. Some of the really nice larger double trailers come with the fat tires, the narrow ones are just barely rated to carry the weight of 2 four stroke skis.
              http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
              +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
              ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
              light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• hemmjo
                Resident Guru
                • Oct 2013

I have been thinking about replacing the worn out tall tires on my double trailer with them to get it lower to the ground so I dont have to back in so deep.
                2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
                  • Aug 2006

The issue is not that it will float away, the issue is on the single trailers they don't stay put when you back them in, I have a place I water test at on the river and the current will push the trailer around if it has these tires on it making reloading a pain, on a double trailer it won't do this, on a single it most certainly will float the rear of the trailer.

Comment

Working...
                  X