Smokeysevin roll's his own swap adventure (Critical Failure) 1987 JS550 to 750 Build - Page 7
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: Smokeysevin roll's his own swap adventure (Critical Failure) 1987 JS550 to 750 Bu

Same here. I'm slowly getting into my minor repair and your posts and PMs have been extremely helpful. I'm going to order the epoxy and associated stuff after the holiday.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Smokeysevin roll's his own swap adventure (Critical Failure) 1987 JS550 to 750 Bu

Wanted to check in and see how it's going over here?

I got some aluminum tubing to up the stinger end to 2" and got my water box in, and will be slowly mocking things up as I have time. Also will be extending the chamber of my Westcoast pipe while at it.

Not necessarily a true 2" system, as the Seadoo waterbox measures about 1.8" ID, the 2" tube I got is 1.75" ID. But it will be better than what's in there since my Westcoast stinger has an oddly shaped ID casting it's about 1.5" by 1.65" ID oblong, and the similarly sized Coffman 550 waterbox.

It's a 2-inch "nominal" pipe.
    Last edited by ryanpsd; 01-21-2021 at 03:03 AM.

It has been a while but I hope things are getting back to normal for y'all. Normal for me now includes a baby boy so every day is a new adventure!

On the ski, I made some time to work and cut and installed my drive shaft filler. That was glued in with thickened epoxy. Once it was installed I filled the pocket with more thickened epoxy and smoothed it out as best I could.

I also removed the poly pump shoe and replaced it with the aluminum Rhaas one and glued that in place as well.

That done and cured, I sanded everything back again, wiped it down and primed the hood, sanded the hood back with 400 grit and got one coat of teal on most of it before I ran out.

I also primed the bottom deck and filled some pinholes I found once the primer dried. The bottom needs to be sanded, and reprimed before I blast it with the appliance epoxy.

I don't want to say I am cutting corners at this point but I am definitely okay with "good enough" on the bodywork now. I really just want to ride this thing before 2025 so I am calling the bodywork adequate for a 34 year old ski and moving on once it is all one color again.

Sean

The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

1987 Kawasaki JankyStandup Build
    2004 Kawi-Doo STX-RXT-X Build
    2001 Toyota Tundra Basketcase Build

Paint (is particularly painful and perilous if people poorly prepare or pass on patience)

Made some progress, sanded out some hood runs and blasted the bottom of the hull with the crustoleum. Looks decent but I should have sanded it more before I spraybombed it. Oh well, its covered and I want to move on. I am trying to show what the results look like even if it is not ideal so look at my shortcomings lol. The specs are pvc dust that got blown on while I was making the vent adapters but the unevenness is all real baby...

Wanting to feel slightly less incompetent, I cut the handle pole hinge pass through hole for a 2" canaflex hose rather than the stock wire pass through. Hopefully this will let some extra air in without letting a bunch of water in as well.

I also modified 2 Kawasaki STX vent hoses to fit 2" pvc couplers in them. The plan is to mount the flanges to the underside of the hood and use the larger couch ducts to flow more air. The pvc inserts will stick up slightly above the new hood liner I made and get capped with frogskinz to limit water ingress.

Going to try and flip the hull tomorrow or Monday and finish painting the bottom then let that cure for a few days before setting it back sunny side up and prepping for bilge paint and top deck paint.

Time Spent:
    6 Hours (I am not good at paint and bodywork which is why I dislike it so)

Tools Used:

Belt/Disc Sander
    Soldering Iron
    Drill Press
    2" Hole Saw

Materials Used:
    2 2" PVC repair couplers
    1 Can Torque'n Teal Paint
    1 sheet 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper
    3 Cans Black Crustoleum Appliance Epoxy

PPE
    3M VOC Respirator
    Worktunes Headphones
    24x24X1 Filter over my fan

Number of times I had to remind my self that I am not a professional painter, nor am I using professional tools, professional supplies, or even professional methods or professional attitudes so I shouldn't expect professional results: 6001

Volume of Paint Overspray on my floor: 1/3 Capacity of the Exxon Valdez

Sean

Clamped and Cutting

Trimmed and mostly still painted

Vent Installed on the Bottom

Hose for the Nose

Gee Sean, that doesn't look that bad...

On the internetz everything is a catfish...

Stock STX Suction Section

PVC into Part and Boom, Air Induction

The Elephant Trunk

The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

Paint Part 2 (Primer Procedure Parts People with Prints, Paint Pleases Patron)

Decided that it was time to flip the ski back over after blasting the bottom with the Appliance Epoxy. After determining that I didn't put enough time into the prep phase I spent about 3 hours chasing any imperfections left over from the damage repair and either filled them or sanded them out to bare SMC with 320 on the orbital sander then 400 with the block. I then put 2 coats of high build duplicolor sandable primer down and waited the required 30 minutes before knocking the whole top deck back with wet 600 grit. I wiped the whole thing back again with my spray bottle of optum no-rinse I use for stuff like this, then after it was dry I went back over the whole thing again with denatured alcohol before blasting it all with the duplicolor Torque'n Teal I used on the hood. Now, I am playing the waiting game and praying the insane mosquitoes we have in Houston currently don't decide to land all over it while it dries.

Time Spent:
    6 Hours ( Did I mention, this is not my best area? )

Tools Used:
    5" orbital sander

Materials Used:
    3 Cans High Build Sandable Primer
    3 Cans Torque'n Teal Paint
    4 sheet 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper
    12 320 grit 5" sanding discs
    1 Roll 1.5" painters tape

PPE
    3M VOC Respirator
    Worktunes Headphones
    2 24x24X1 Filter over my fan

Volume of Paint Overspray on my floor: slightly less than the arctic ocean

Sean

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

OOOoooo.......that turqoise and black will look SOOoo good!
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    OOOoooo.......that turqoise and black will look SOOoo good!
    The metal parts will be done in vht black pearl with gold and white accents. Black turf rails and the gloss black bottom should pull it all together nicely I think.

Sean

I like where this is going...

Sean

Blog Entries

Great write up! The ski is looking awesome and can't wait till you get it on the water and hear what you have to say. Good luck and congrats on the baby boy!

Turf part 1 (Tacky Turf Tucking Troubles Talent-less Technologist)

Woke up this morning and decided to see if I could be productive before Kiddo and Mamma woke up. Hauled-*** to Lowes and snagged some Dap Weldwood to see if I could glue my turf down before Monday morning. I knocked back the paint with 60 grit sandpaper and wiped everything down with denatured alcohol before I started doing my layout. I quickly discovered that for a ski with a stock tray, it is completely worth it (imo) to buy the precut stuff because I can't make templates to save my life. After flailing around for a few hours I said screw it and just measured the cuts and started slicing. I started with the bottom (which was probably a mistake in hindsight) and glued in my wedge at the rear of the tray. In the process, I learned that the paint I used is weldwood soluable... fun. Even after discovering that, I decided to keep going which will probably come back to bite me when the turf starts peeling off this pile before it even hits the water. I moved onto doing the sides next which I thought was a challenge until I started on the dash panel. All told, I probably spent the same amount of time trying to get the fit nice on that, as I did on the entire rest of the ski. Tray done, I moved onto the pole landing strip... and laid that down nicely.

All said, I still have/want to do the rails with the turf, that may be a nightmare but I will probably still give it a shot. I can completely appreciate the work and skill that goes into this from some of y'all. I learned how contact cement actually works today so I am apparently one of today's lucky 10,000. I also learned how much of a pain contact cement can be so that is the other side of that coin.

Time Spent:
    6 Hours ( Next time, I will pay one of you experts for this. The product will be better and will be done quicker. )

Tools Used:
    Segmented Utility Knife
    72" Straight Edge
    24" Square
    12" Square
    Tape Measure

Materials Used:
    60 Grit Sandpaper
    Denatured Alcohol
    DAP Weldwood Contact Cement
    Hydro Turf Black Diamond

PPE
    3M VOC Respirator
    Worktunes Headphones

Turf Wasted: 420 in^2

Utility Knife Segments Ruined by Cutting Directly on my Driveway: 4

Years Until the Scratches Carved into my Driveway Become an Archeological Site and Historical Preserve: 6900

Sean

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information