Smokeysevin roll's his own swap adventure (Critical Failure) 1987 JS550 to 750 Build - Page 2
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Smokeysevin roll's his own swap adventure (Critical Failure) 1987 JS550 to 750 Bu

Inner Glasswork Part 4 (The part in which our hero finds a semblance of redemption and moves onto other jobs)

Having received some excellent advice over the last week both here and on the other pwc forum (X-H2O not the green one) I started by raising the hull up and allowing it to stand nose up. Fortunately I installed a overhead hoist to raise the transmission up when I was installing a new clutch on my old N18 Mini Cooper S so it was just a matter of adding a rope and cranking away. Of course, I didn't do it that way because I am not that smart when it comes to simple stuff. Instead, I did some seriously sketchy workout maneuvers to raise the hull up with one hand while clipping the stern strap to the lifting hook... You can't fix stupid (I have tried) but it worked and I wasn't squished.

I started by mixing 4OZ of resin and cabosil into some deliciously smooth peanut butter and stuffed that up in my nose. I then mixed up another 8OZ of resin and smeared that all over the repair areas and let it start to kick. While that was gelling, I started cooking some italian sausage in a red sauce.

Recipe (NOTE: ADD SEASONING TO TASTE)

5 links Italian Sausage

1 Head Garlic, peeled and chopped ( I do bigger chunks but you do you...)

1/2 Large Yellow onion, halved again and cut into thin rings
    4OZ Olive Oil

2 Large cans San Marzano Tomatoes

6 OZ Red Wine

2 OZ Balsamic Vinegar

2 TBSP Granulated Chicken Bouillon

1 TBSP Capers with splash of Sauce

2 TBSP Sun Dried Tomatoes with sauce

As much Basil as you can find

Tomato Paste

Brown the sausage in a large dutch oven over medium heat.

Once browned on 2 sides add olive oil and allow to heat for a few minutes then add onions and garlic stirring occasionally.
    Remove Sausage from dutch oven and slice into thin sections. Add back to onions and garlic on stove stirring frequently.

Once sausage has had time for the fat to render into pan, add remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

Return to garage to continue fiberglass work.

Time Spent:

4 Hours including waiting for the epoxy to gel

Tools Used:

Rockwell Oscillating Multi Tool

5" Orbital Sander

Shop Vac

Mixing Cups

Mixing Stick

Materials Used:

8 OZ Denatured Alcohol

4 Blue Shop Towels

16 OZ Resin/Hardener

16" 1208 Cloth

1 Hazard Fart Paint Brush

Painters Tape

Old Repairs Removed:

Nose Job part 2

Kawasaki Bonding Adhesive Removed:

2lbs

Muscles Strained:

PPE Used:

Half Respirator
    Tyvek Suit

3M Worktunes Headhones

Black Spider Gloves from Blowes

Items of Clothing Ruined:

Tyvek Suit (Walked past my tubing notcher and caught the back of it on a 1-5/8" Hole Saw...)

Chemical Burns from Epoxy:

Percentage of Garage Floor Epoxy Coated

18%

Percentage complete:

65% (I will finish up the bond line reinforcement tomorrow. )

Sean

Workshop Before, this is where the disasters happen

Find the winch

Strung Up

Lit Up

Cut Up

Stuck Up

Covered Up

Nose Up
    Last edited by smokeysevin; 02-23-2020 at 10:30 PM.

The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

1987 Kawasaki JankyStandup Build
    2004 Kawi-Doo STX-RXT-X Build
    2001 Toyota Tundra Basketcase Build

Re: Smokeysevin roll's his own swap adventure (Critical Failure) 1987 JS550 to 750 Bu

Inner Glasswork Part 5 (Kicking the Itches)

Not too much to report, I filled the gap between the hood flange and inner hull with cabosil and shredded glass and let it tack up. I then cut a 28"6" piece of 1208 and laid that up flush with the hood flange and wrapped it back to the inner hull. I also added another 2 layers where the nose meets the hood flange. I am hoping that this will make that whole area much stiffer. Its been unpleasant sanding the flange area because the sander makes the whole thing resonate. Even with hearing protection on it is enough to make my ears ring.

Yesterday I stopped at HF and picked up some of the fiberglass rods mentioned on X-H2O. I got one out and cut the threaded ends off to experiment with. The good news is that the rods are just fiberglass with colored resin, the glossy coating on the outside is knocked off really easily. The bad news is that they are 37" long once cut, so a little on the short side.

Time Spent:
    4 Hours (seriously why does this take so damn long?)

Tools Used:
    5" Orbital Sander
    Shop Vac
    Mixing Cups
    Mixing Stick
    Clamps clamps and more clamps

Materials Used:
    8 OZ Acetone
    4 Blue Shop Towels
    16 OZ Resin/Hardener
    12" 1208 Cloth
    2 Hazard Fart Paint Brush
    Painters Tape

Old Repairs Removed:
    None but I did chip some paint off the bottom using a chisel so I have that to look forward to.

Times I farted in the tyvek suit and nearly passed out:
    6 (damn cliff bars)

Beer Consumed:
    Shiner Prickly Pear

Dinner Cooked:
    Reverse Seared Ribeye with fresh thyme and rosemary from the garden

Music Listened to:
    Straight outta junior high: Kiss of Deaf

PPE Used:
    Half Respirator
    Tyvek Suit
    3M Worktunes Headhones
    Hazard Frito 7mil blue bomber gloves

18% (running total to date, I didn't spill anything that I am aware of today

Percentage complete:
    85% (I think I am okay with the repair/reinforcement now, I will have a little sanding to do before I can prep for Bilge Kote)

Sean

Administer the Clamps

Fish Sticks

Punji Stick

When I grow up I want to be a Chine
    Last edited by smokeysevin; 02-25-2020 at 09:26 PM.

The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post

I started by mixing 4OZ of resin and cabosil into some deliciously smooth peanut butter and stuffed that up in my nose. I then mixed up another 8OZ of resin and smeared that all over the repair areas and let it start to kick. While that was gelling, I started cooking some italian sausage in a red sauce.

Recipe (NOTE: ADD SEASONING TO TASTE)

5 links Italian Sausage

1 Head Garlic, peeled and chopped ( I do bigger chunks but you do you...)

1/2 Large Yellow onion, halved again and cut into thin rings
    4OZ Olive Oil

2 Large cans San Marzano Tomatoes

6 OZ Red Wine

2 OZ Balsamic Vinegar

2 TBSP Granulated Chicken Bouillon

1 TBSP Capers with splash of Sauce

2 TBSP Sun Dried Tomatoes with sauce

As much Basil as you can find

Tomato Paste

Brown the sausage in a large dutch oven over medium heat.

Once browned on 2 sides add olive oil and allow to heat for a few minutes then add onions and garlic stirring occasionally.
    Remove Sausage from dutch oven and slice into thin sections. Add back to onions and garlic on stove stirring frequently.

Once sausage has had time for the fat to render into pan, add remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

This was amazing. We should all splice in recipes as we're going along our build. Keep up the good work and props for the inspiration.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake, PWR ride plate [47.3mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, Coffmans Sizzler [48.5mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1995 SJ MINT:
    Worx 205 intake [42.5mph gps]

Also what powertrain are you going to be running? 750 dual carb engine? 550 or 750 pump?

750 dual carbs with the 3 jet Keihins are easy to set up right and are a really good all around ski. Those Keihins came on sit downs and are unloved and easy to get ahold of and rejet properly. When set up right it's a low 50s ski with the 550 pump and a 20 pitch impeller, or with a 750 pump I did 55.6 on mine with a 10/16 hooker and 80mm nozzle. This is a shake and bake, easy to set up a ski well recipe. Biggest issue is taking your time installing the pump shoe and aligning the pump properly. With time, care and precision my 550/750 /750 pump had less vibration than my first 09 SJ did from the factory.
    2009 1100 SJ:
    2009 SJ MINT:
    1987 WJ650:
    1995 SJ MINT:

Quote Originally Posted by theVetteman3 View Post
    Also what powertrain are you going to be running? 750 dual carb engine? 550 or 750 pump?

750 dual carbs with the 3 jet Keihins are easy to set up right and are a really good all around ski. Those Keihins came on sit downs and are unloved and easy to get ahold of and rejet properly. When set up right it's a low 50s ski with the 550 pump and a 20 pitch impeller, or with a 750 pump I did 55.6 on mine with a 10/16 hooker and 80mm nozzle. This is a shake and bake, easy to set up a ski well recipe. Biggest issue is taking your time installing the pump shoe and aligning the pump properly. With time, care and precision my 550/750 /750 pump had less vibration than my first 09 SJ did from the factory.
    Thanks for the kind words, I hope this helps someone in the future and offers enjoyment to those who read it now.

The motor is a big pin 750 twin carb. It should be here next week. For budget reasons, (for now) I will be using the 550 pump and driveline while planning on swapping to the RHASS x2 setup when funds and time allows.

Motor wise I am just hoping to check compression and leakdown, rebuild the carbs and run it.

I picked up a 650sx exhaust that I am going to modify and use temporary until I can justify the price of a west coast or coffmans.

Really, I just want to get this on the water so I can run it this summer, the rest is bonus. I also need to get this ski done quickly so I can start on my STX-Rxtx builds in earnest.

My remaining task items are as follows in no particular order:

Replace chines and glass bottom of hull
    Reinforce handlepole area more
    Repair damage on outside
    Paint engine bay
    Paint hull
    Install hydroturf
    Build fuel system
    Replace ebox setup
    Repair electrical system
    Install bilge pump
    Rear exhaust
    Modify exhaust system
    Replace cooling lines
    Install sponsons
    Install engine and exhaust
    Rebuild jet pump and steering

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Lower Deck Prep Part 1 (Keep Your Bottom Clean)

Today's first task was to remove any stray splinters from the inside of the hull so I don't stab myself during assembly. I knocked the inside down with 80 grit and sucked the dust up with the shop vac. Once I was happy with the inside I unslung the ski from the hoist and put it back on the stand with the bottom deck up. The bottom deck had a really poorly applied and flaking layer of gel kote that was applied over no less than 3 other layers of paint, primer, and filler. Since the bottom needed work all that needs to get removed. I tried using regular sanding discs, the multitool and in desperation grabbed my trusty makita and flap disk which also didn't do much. Since it was chipping off anyways I helped it along with my trusty chisel. Two and a half hours later the bottom surface of the bottom deck just has paint remaining.

Jumping back to the top deck for a minute, I am still uncertain about the bond line between the nose and engine bay, is there any reason I can't add a layer of glass in the channel for the hood gasket?

Time Spent:
    3 Hours (I can barely type because my hands are cramped so bad)

Tools Used:
    5" Orbital Sander
    Makita 4.5" Angle Grinder with 100 grit flap disc
    1" Wood Chisel
    Shop Vac

Materials Used:
    None today

Pounds of Old Flaking Gel Kote Removed:
    71 (Estimated)

Beer Consumed:
    Karbach Lemon Ginger Radler (Look I can be fancy too okay, drink what you like)

PPE Used:
    Half Respirator
    Tyvek Suit
    3M Worktunes Headhones
    Hazard Frito 7mil blue bomber gloves

18% (running total to date, I didn't spill anything that I am aware of today

Percentage complete:
    25% (the bottom doesn't have gel kote on it anymore but it needs a lot of sanding, filling, and prep)

Sean

My Bare Bottom

Thanks for sharing, awesome build. I'm beginning a similar epoxy endeavor, and this is helpful to read, thanks
    750 X2, 440/750 Conversion, 750 650sx, 750 SSXI

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, I hope this helps someone in the future and offers enjoyment to those who read it now.

The motor is a big pin 750 twin carb. It should be here next week. For budget reasons, (for now) I will be using the 550 pump and driveline while planning on swapping to the RHASS x2 setup when funds and time allows.

Motor wise I am just hoping to check compression and leakdown, rebuild the carbs and run it.

I picked up a 650sx exhaust that I am going to modify and use temporary until I can justify the price of a west coast or coffmans.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Sounds good. A few notes on this. The 650sx pipe will choke a 750 dual carb output terribly and will probably impact your jetting. This pipe is ok to use on a single carb if you are willing to accept power loss. But really, it's a no go on a dual carb. Because it fits doesn't mean it should be used. The flow is just so much greater with a dual carb 750. No 650 engine ever in the history of Kawasaki ever used that stock oem pipe when modified with dual carbs.

Also, regarding pipe type. Best options for the cost are the PJS EX2650 big 650/750 pipe or, as you mentioned, the Coffmans. I have not personally tried the Coffmans in a 550 hull but I have heard it's very tight. You might need to mill the exhaust manifold and do a few other tricks for it to fit properly. I would not bother on the Westcoast pipe either. It's marginally a high end pipe, but with probably less high end than either the EX2650 or Coffmans. No good builds use that pipe, if you do, you need to modify it by changing the length and diameter possibly. Fastgtfairlane has done it if you are curious.

Hope that helps! A few items on these builds are not worth sacrificing on. Better save up a bit and delay the build and do it best the first time around, so you can build a ski which will provide you with more performance and less aggravation. Pipe and impeller are two of those options. If you make the right choice with what a lot of others have used, you'll have excellent performance and jetting will be spot on the mark. Otherwise its still doable, just be ready for potentially more jetting and maybe even impeller swapping on your own.

There are a lot of bad conversion skis out there for people who have cut corners on your build. You'll know when you've got a good one.

Keep up the good work Sean!
    Last edited by theVetteman3; 02-28-2020 at 07:06 AM.
    2009 1100 SJ:
    2009 SJ MINT:
    1987 WJ650:
    1995 SJ MINT:

Quote Originally Posted by theVetteman3 View Post
    Sounds good. A few notes on this. The 650sx pipe will choke a 750 dual carb output terribly and will probably impact your jetting. This pipe is ok to use on a single carb if you are willing to accept power loss. But really, it's a no go on a dual carb. Because it fits doesn't mean it should be used. The flow is just so much greater with a dual carb 750. No 650 engine ever in the history of Kawasaki ever used that stock oem pipe when modified with dual carbs.

Also, regarding pipe type. Best options for the cost are the PJS EX2650 big 650/750 pipe or, as you mentioned, the Coffmans. I have not personally tried the Coffmans in a 550 hull but I have heard it's very tight. You might need to mill the exhaust manifold and do a few other tricks for it to fit properly. I would not bother on the Westcoast pipe either. It's marginally a high end pipe, but with probably less high end than either the EX2650 or Coffmans. No good builds use that pipe, if you do, you need to modify it by changing the length and diameter possibly. Fastgtfairlane has done it if you are curious.

Hope that helps! A few items on these builds are not worth sacrificing on. Better save up a bit and delay the build and do it best the first time around, so you can build a ski which will provide you with more performance and less aggravation. Pipe and impeller are two of those options. If you make the right choice with what a lot of others have used, you'll have excellent performance and jetting will be spot on the mark. Otherwise its still doable, just be ready for potentially more jetting and maybe even impeller swapping on your own.

There are a lot of bad conversion skis out there for people who have cut corners on your build. You'll know when you've got a good one.

Keep up the good work Sean!
    Thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye out then.
    This has kind of spiraled as its gone on, it started out as a 550 refresh, then I got a 650 engine that I planned to run with a single sbn44, then I found the twin carb 750.

Sean
    Last edited by smokeysevin; 02-28-2020 at 08:58 AM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

OK, you're making me actually want to start working on my Tigersaki again....

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=488735
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information