Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1988 650sx headed for the gabage

I picked up a superjet for cheap and the guy said if I wanted this kawasaki I could have it for free. I was looking for a 300sx for my kids to ride and few responses on here said they will outgrow it quick - not enough power - and the like so figured I would put the 650 together and see what happens. Being that this basically just a hull and I dont know much about these I will needing input from members on parts selection. I do have the choice of any compatible parts but I do have the cases and crank so I will be staying with the 650 motor. This not going to be a "race ski" or looking to be faster or better than other skis just something mellow for the kids to learn on. Right now it is out back with the rest of my junk and will put some pictures up when I get it in the shop, hopefully soon.
    SWIMMIMNG!!!

Re: 1988 650sx headed for the gabage

I am trying to collect parts at the moment and need to know what ignition to use. The ignition in the ski is crusty so will get replaced. Are all 650 kawasaki ignitions compatible?
    SWIMMIMNG!!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Yes pretty much all the same, there are a few stators with an extra ground wire though and the X2 CDI's have shorter spark plug wires
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 02-15-2020 at 09:40 AM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Do these not come with a lanyard? I was looking around and noticed doesnt look like a spot for one on the kill switch. I definitely want a lanyard to kill the motor if the rider falls off. What are my options for this? Sure i could come up with something but if there is an easy swap for this sure would like to know.
    SWIMMIMNG!!!

You can replace the front half of the switch with one from a sit down model and then you will have a lanyard, TS ,ST,SS,XI and STS all use that style switch
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 02-22-2020 at 05:50 PM.
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    You can replace the front half of the switch with one from a sit down model and then you will have a lanyard, TS ,ST,SS,XI and STS all use that style switch
    Surprising that they werent required to have these on the old stand ups.
    SWIMMIMNG!!!

They self circle no lanyard required

Frequent Poster

WFO, have you ever seen one of these take off across the lake with no one on it? I always hear horror stories like tbis, but if no one is on mine and I give it throttle it just submarines.

I put lanyards on all my skis but yes I have chased down a runaway ski before it wasn't fun, they can run pretty damn fast with no one on them, I also had a friend stick his Superjet in a tree , throttle stuck . he tried to ride it out , finally he bailed, ski hit the bank and landed in a tree, it ran wide open till it died, right there in the tree.

I was telling him why they didn't come with lanyards, self circling skis were not required to at the time.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 02-23-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Ok thanks, the kids are small so definitely want a lanyard for them.

I am looking at a TS to swap parts from. The ignition in the TS has the large enclosure with the coils internal. Can the complete enclosure be swapped into the 650 or will the individual parts swap into the 650 ignition case? Any drawback to using that ignition?
    Last edited by TomM1; 02-23-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    SWIMMIMNG!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information