Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Electrical issues

I purchased a 98 Yamaha gp1200 last season. Road it acouple yes without issues then my battery died while cranking at the boat ramp. Then a bunch of issues started after putting in a starter solenoid things started working ok but after one run I went to shut off the ski and it just kept running. Pulled the plug wires kept running until it shut off then kept blowing the fuse in the housing Everytime I hit the start button. Replaced all the spark plugs and wires caps stopped blowing the fuse. My question Is this season I want to eliminate possible issues what would be the best battery for these skis and would u recommend going through the whole harness with electrical grease to prevent possible water issues. Or any recommendations to do to these skis while it's out of the water. Thanks.

I dream skis

Re: Electrical issues

Whew, this is a tough one. Here are my thoughts in the order you mention each issue.

#1 Replacing the starter solenoid would not have have fixed any issue that would have caused your battery to die. BUT, a bad battery might have caused you to think you had a bad solenoid. OR, a bad connection may have made you think the battery was dead or that the solenoid was bad. Then when you were replacing the solenoid, you "fixed" that problem when you took apart, then reassembled the electrical connections.

#2 If the kill switch did not stop the engine and you had to pull the plug wires, that points to a problem in the wiring in the handle.

#3 If after you were not able to stop the engine, pressing the start button caused a fuse to blow, this again points to a problem with wiring in the handle. Or, unfortunately the problem could be someplace else in the wiring.

#4 I cannot see how replacing the spark plugs and wires and caps would have fixed the fuse blowing issue. Once again the problem may have been "fixed" by messing around in the engine compartment and moving something away from something else.

I fear your problem is not really fixed, it has just gone away for a while. Many electrical issue do this to mess with your head. It takes time, patience and some understanding of how the system works to solve issues like this.

My skis are 98 also, that means 22 years for moisture to corrode connections. Your idea of going through the electrical system is a good one. Checking all connections, CLEAN, an apply dielectric grease to plugs etc. CLEANING is the key to the success of this process. Don't just smear grease on a dirty connection. You don't slap a "Band-aid" on a dirty cut. Also look for wires with worn insulation where it may have been rubbing against something.

You want to take a good look at the wiring inside the handle where the buttons are. All of the problems you describe could be in there.

Good Luck,

John
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Electrical issues

Thanks John.

Thread Information