Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

New guy / Some questions

Hey all, I'm new on here. Just a teenage guy trying to get into the seemingly dying sport of standup jetskiing. I have been riding since I was like 10 and love these silly things. So a few questions. Is a 650sx hull worth time and money into trying to make it playful? (Wake jumping, 180/360, barrel roll(?))Or do I buy a SN Superjet? My dilemma is budget (hence the name). So what is the general consensus on the 650sx hull in general and any cheap alternatives like an SN even though they aren't really cheap?
    Thanks guys.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: New guy / Some questions

I see you're in the Midwest.

Come to Jet Blast 2020 at the end of May. Make 200 new friends with stand ups, ride at least a dozen different skis, then make a plan.

99% of the BJPs will let you ride their sh1t just to help you out. You can certainly ride any of my SNs. You might even get lucky and win the 95 SN I am currently restoring and donating to our annual charity raffle at Jet Blast.

Tons of info here in the Badgerland Jet Pilots section.

You won't meet a nicer group of ego-free and friendly stand up riders.
    Last edited by fox river pwc; 02-13-2020 at 12:24 AM.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

PWCToday Newbie

That's awesome man! Didn't expect that, I didn't even know there were organized rides around these parts.
    And the SN was just an example, it is pretty hard to try to do anything real fun on a stock 650sx and I was just thinking of an alternative.
    But thanks for the invite fox river pwc, might just have to get over there

Blog Entries

This will be the 9th year for Jet Blast.

I'm not a 650sx hater, like so many SJ riders tend to be, but frankly, the SN platform is just a much better starting point to build from. Can you build a decent 650sx for rec riding? Certainly, but your final results will be more limited than any SN.

When you're at Jet Blast, or any group thing where BJPs are present, you can literally walk up to anyone and start a conversation about skis, and you will get friendly give and take - people will treat you the way they have been treated when they were "new". Every year for the past 3 or 4, we have really been adding a steady stream of new riders to our events = the word has gotten out about the fun and comradery. No joke. We've worked hard to keep things this way, as it insures the max amount of fun for all.

If you're anywhere near Waterford, let me know. My sub has a private launch and beach. You can ride a few of my skis.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

PWCToday Newbie

Sadly, I am bout a state's width from you fox river. And I hope I get a chance to come down during JetBlast, it sounds like fun.

Blog Entries

JB20 will have attendees from Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, and even Georgia this year.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Hey Budget, I am a fellow newbie here and have been doing things on my college budget. I’ve been riding skis since I was young too and last summer I decided that standups were the next step. I opted for a 550 for a few reasons.

This is my first standup and I need to learn how to ride them.
    I like a challenge.
    AM parts are readily available.
    They’re relatively inexpensive to work on.
    They are playful skis, with 180’s, 360’s, and slides all being with in range on a close to, or totally stock machine.

I, unlike most I would assume, am okay with the power level. I have larger sit downs that can take me from point A to B at the speed of light so I am not looking to satisfy that need.

My 2cents. Make of it what you wish.
    82 JS440 / 550 Swap Build Here: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=491239&p=4543624#post4543624
    90 GlassMaster
    '95 Yamaha Wave Raider 700

'98 Chaparral Sunesta 210 Limited
    '16 Yamaha VXR

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the input Zac. I would like to try a 550 at some point, they seem to have a good hull size/power ratio. I have been able to ride a newer SJ, a stock 650sx, semi-built 750sx, and a couple sit downs. Obviously the SJ is superior in every way to the others but the 750 held its own even though it was a buoy racer I believe. The 650sx is stock and kind of a hog. Low end is sluggish and it feels really heavy even though I can throw it around good. I really just want to launch off of surfboat wakes. I have the opportunity to fix up and ride a mild 650sx (Skat impeller, West coast full exhaust, AM intake and Mikuni carb, along with a few other things. Not sure about internals) It was an old buoy racer too I think. So I may run with that.
    Also, pretty sweet fox river! Definitely looking into it!
    Thanks guys.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Blog Entries

Anything is better then nothing, but a superjet is going to be more fun and allow you to build more skill faster. You can finance a new superjet pretty damn cheap. And rumor has it there is a 380lb 4stroke SJ coming out next year.
    Last edited by Quinc; 02-13-2020 at 04:44 PM.
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

Thread Information