User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

2011 800 SXR - tipping side to side

I've been riding standups for 40 years. I bought a Kawasaki 2011 SXR special edition a few years ago, completely stock. It had almost never been ridden.
    When riding straight smooth water standing up, it tips from side to side. Not so much that it falls over but enough that its annoying. Any new standup riders are barely able to ride it because its hard for them to control it. Last summer i was riding on my knees and noticed it tipping even at low speeds. I let a 14 year old boy ride it and he asked me why it was tipping. I thought it might just be me, because ive gained a lot of weight since i road those older models. LOL
    Riding 440, 550, 650 when i was younger, I never had this happen.

I'm assuming I need to add sponsons. Can someone please verify this? Or is there something else with the intake or prop that may be causing the problem. It seems to me that it can only be the hull design is different than the older models.

If I need to add sponsons. Which ones are recommended?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: 2011 800 SXR - tipping side to side

Welcome to the site.

The SXR will "chine" walk like that in smooth water. It is the hull grabbing, and wanting to turn. When I got my 1st SXR back in 04 I was like you and thought what the heck...

You'll get used to it, and after a while won't even notice it. You'll find it does NOT do it in any water with any amount of chop. Don't worry it is very stable and will not throw you off. Just let it do its thing.

Sponson's really won't help and may even make it worse.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

I found that you can go "straight" with the slightest arc and the chines will stay hooked up and you can run smooth at WOT with no wobble. I remember feeling what you describe, but like John said, I don't even notice the ski wanting to rock anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by scottw090 View Post
    I found that you can go "straight" with the slightest arc and the chines will stay hooked up and you can run smooth at WOT with no wobble. I remember feeling what you describe, but like John said, I don't even notice the ski wanting to rock anymore.
    I thought it was probably the hull change but i wasn't sure. I can deal with it. It just had me shaking my head.
    Thanks for the response.

I jumped a big wake at the end of last summer and my ski came out from under me. The ski was almost straight up when it hit the water and then one foot caught the very back bottom of the ski and I almost broke it. The top of my foot looks as bad as the bottom. I'm glad it was the end if the summer. Its still not back to 100%. I had some good water shoes on. It tore off the back mat and right corner molding.
    foot injury.jpg

Footholds help with that, and never let go, ever.

Queue all the SXR can't have footholds quotes...
    Third Coast Freeride - Midwest Wave Warriors

Wooka Wooka Wookay. Let's Fing Rage!

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Chine walking was my very first complaint about my first SXR, a 2006. Well that and the "ice in a blender" phenomena that you may feel out of the tray, coming from the pump. You can and will overcome it, it takes some tray time. It rides alot better in chop, smooth water just exaggerates the symptom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Thread Information