» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cavitation

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mcn6's Avatar

Re: Cavitation

What is your max rpm?

I am not a fan of Solas impellers in general and certainly would not recommend one for your application. That being said, a 15/20 anything seems like way too much impeller for a 650SX.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991pjs View Post
    650sx seemed to have slowed down in the last couple of years. Could the pump be worn out. Pics show etching on pump cone and impeller or could it be something else. R&d top loader grate, stock pump(1991), solas supra15/20, pjs nozzle Attachment 556309Attachment 556310Attachment 556311Attachment 556312

Home of Newmiller Machine

Blog Entries

74184601-E5CB-402E-9EA6-E2DF4845F29B.jpegThe three etched lines on nozzle were not there three years ago. Impeller was bought new nice and shiny. Ski hooks up nice and revs right up. Donít know rpm I think stock 91 had a limit but was increased buy 1000. Engine has mild port, milled and resquished kawi head 180 both holes, pjs 44 carb and intake, canít remember reeds two stage I think with stuffers, trued and welded crank, lightened flywheel. pjs full exhaust from mani to waterbox I think most or all stuff machined and changed by havasu cycle sales or they sent it out to get done. That was the shop in the 90s. Could call and ask anything always got an answer. Have not screwed with anything but checking compression, carb rebuild mikuni kits and had a guy braise a crack in the pipe then pressure tested it.it has plenty of punch for the prop. Bought a skat 9/15 used a year ago maybe Iíll try that this year. I just picked up a low hour 93 ts for a pump. I still think the pump is wore.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Very nice. Sounds like a good set up. I'd do some research, perhaps even call Impros, and see if that's the pitch they would recommend for your engine mods. If that's a Impros hooker 9/15 that would probably be about right. If it's a straight blade or C75 big hub the 15 high pitch might be a bit low. For reference on a bone stock single carb 750 engine I had in my 650sx, I used a 9/17 standard impeller. PJS EX2650 pipe. (When I rebuilt the ski I went dual carb and put in a 11.5/18.5 modified sxr swirl impeller with a Coffmans pipe. Different league in performance.)

I can say with 99% certainty that those marks on the pump tail cone in the above picture were from Kawasaki. I have seen them on several pumps. You can even see how they are positioned right by that circular feature to break the edges off. That feature is a part of the die casting process. The edges would disrupt flow. So if it was water flow or some sort of other damage, it did you a favor! Regardless that has no issue on performance. Arguably the bigger issue is the spider webbing all over that part which is also part of the casting process. You could run a scotch brite pad over that to sand it down and smooth it out some, but honestly it just isn't a big deal.

Good idea on purchasing a new pump. As you tear both apart you can see how they look. You can also check the bearings and seals while you're at it. And look into swapping in a new impeller. If you really like the one you've got, several shops (like Newmiller - mcn6 above) can clean it up for you and get it looking like new.
    Last edited by theVetteman3; 02-14-2020 at 08:11 AM.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.8mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [47.8mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1995 SJ MINT:
    [TBD]

I looked at your pictures, NO cavitation going on anywhere. Nothing even close.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info. Just for my own peace of mind I’m going to change out the pump and keep the same impeller and see what happens in the spring.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SxiPro's Avatar

Looks to be a case of drunken dremeling. It happens.
    Changes aren't permanent, but change is.

I dream skis

Not trying to start an argument, I am just curious why you would replace the pump and not the most important part of the pump?

If you are going to have it all apart anyway, and not going to replace that impeller, at least clean it up, get rid of the scratches. They cause turbulence, disrupt smooth water flow and reduce performance. Try to do the same thing to each blade as the balance is already affected by the filing that you did before.

I once again refer you to race boat propellers. Just jump to :36 seconds if you don't care about the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOhR...ature=emb_logo

They don't just shine them up so they look pretty because no one seems them when the boat is in the water. Well unless...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of1RY4M8VqM

Props and impellers are the most important connection between all of your horsepower and the water. Any ding, nick or miss match in the blades affects performance in a bad way.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

Blog Entries

Doing both would not enable me to rule one out. Itís not that involved replacing an impeller. If the mph doesnít pick up Iíll sent the impeller out to impros. If it does then it was the pump and I will still send the impeller out. That was my thought. The wife likes me to go to the garage and work on stuff.
    Last edited by 1991pjs; 02-15-2020 at 12:03 PM.

I dream skis

That makes sense.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information