Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Seadoo 951 starter teeth

OK boys, I have been reading on this website quite a bit but this is one of my first posts. I got this used 99 ski with 55 hours on it about six months ago and havenít stopped working on it since. I put 20 hours on it since getting it myself and probably three times that working on it...LOL par for the course I know, anyway ... so my latest project is the starter drive adapter or the Bendix went out and I have the mag cover all pulled off and I find i diagnosed the problem correctly, but from everything I have read I should not replace the starter with aftermarket, the consensus is one should rebuild it...since it is a factory OEM starter and the aftermarket ones are crap...BUT, the rebuild kits do not come with the armature that has the gear teeth on it. should I replace the starter with an aftermarket one to try and save the gears on my new Bendix? Iím torn as to whether just leave it alone or what to do... I already went through the trouble of getting a used OEM Bendix I donít want to mesh an aftermarket starter on there now
    Attached Images Attached Images

Frequent Poster

Re: Seadoo 951 starter teeth

seeing the bendix in that shape I would look at the plastic 3 bolt support to see if it's worn and the bearing at the other end that supports the bendix in the case , check the flywheel , I would heavy grease that starter and reuse,

The 98/99s had the mpem too far advanced below 300 rpm when cranking and this could cause or help in achieving broken and chipped teeth
    Usually all of these broken teeth and weights in the Bendix is a result of starting it with a low battery too many times or bad grounding cable connection to the motor. That will often take splines off of the starter shaft too
    Replace the Bendix with a good used OEM one and re use the starter,keep the battery topped up,should be ok

PWCToday Newbie

Thnx 4 the replies guys... Advice taken and complied, got her patched back up (mostly) and we are shooting for a shakedown cruise middle of next week supposed to be 82 F here in Tampa bay
    Last edited by Jdubg1981; 02-15-2020 at 09:54 AM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Also not many know this but the Kawasaki 650-750-800-1100 starter is the exact same as the Seadoo starter, they are interchangable
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Thread Information