Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

96 Eckler resto-mod

My plan is to set this little Jewel up for chasing kingfish and harassing schools of pogies along the beach here in Northeast Florida. Some of the issues it had when I got it wer that the wearing was swelled up a little bit finding the impeller, the gas lines were a mess, the deck drains were shot, the drain plugs on the back of the whole were shot, the fuel filler cap wouldn't even close all the way from so much corrosion, the fuel tank straps for broken and the bottom of the hole had been beat up pretty bad.
    I plan on installing a larger fuel tank, several flush mount rod holders, a new and larger windscreen, a combination GPS fish finder head unit and a VHF radio. I'm hoping to modify the seat into a narrow and taller Fish Box instead of mounting a cooler on a rack to the rear. I also plan to install hatches at the rear deck in order to make access to the bilge easier. All the factory fittings are being replaced with Chrome plated brass with all new hoses and clamps throughout. At this point I have it stripped down to a bare Hull and am doing gel coat work. I may upgrade to a 701 later on down the road but for now I'm leaving the 650 as is.

P.S. Site won't let me add pics in the usual manner for some reason... I will post them up as soon as I can figure it out.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: 96 Eckler resto-mod

You may have it planed and just didn’t mention it. Running lights was a must for me. I went with strip red and green up front and normal post on back. Be careful cutting the rear deck for access holes. It’s very thin and no support. All you really need to do is open up what’s there now a 1/2 inch or so to get access to the deck dumps. Don’t cut much more than that because most or the rear deck strength comes from the different angles of that access hole. Then build a cap for the hole. I have two treated 2x4 running cross ways with lag screws pulling the cap tight. You can see lag screws in pic. You can make the cap wider for your cooler.23321FE8-FCF4-457C-8229-F07461ADDD84.jpeg

Oh, good luck on your build!

Ps: throw your tail gate in the trash if you have one. They do nothing but get in the way and keep water in. One more thing, cut down your bars. it helps Tremendously when walking up front
    Last edited by driftmaster; 02-11-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by driftmaster View Post
    Oh, good luck on your build!

Ps: throw your tail gate in the trash if you have one. They do nothing but get in the way and keep water in. One more thing, cut down your bars. it helps Tremendously when walking up front
    I have been studying your builds since I bought mine 2 yrs ago! Yes running lights will be re-ran. Although I don't know what I am going to do with the rear light yet, since I will be installing a rod holder in its place. I was planning to cut 2 6 in Access holes with screw-in caps to either side of the seat mount in your picture. Do you think that would compromise the Integrity of the deck too much? I have the tailgate stored away in a closet somewhere as I immediately deemed it inconvenient lol.

Blog Entries

Hah! Think I figured a way to get pictures posted but only as thumbnails annoyingly. So here it is the day I bought it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Made some progress yesterday. Removed the Solas impeller so I could begin removing the bearings and shafts in order to get the pump housing cleaned, blasted and powder coated soon. Will order and install new bearings and seals before reassembly. Also finished fairing and sanding the hull bottom and am ready for gel coating when time and temperature allows. And finally, I found the original source Eckler used for their cables. I was able to make oit the word Teleflex on one of the cables after some cleaning and good lighting. Will call them tomorrow to confirm lengths and place order.

Very clean boat. That's the last model I believe, it looks fully loaded.

Yes I think the access holes you're planning to cut would jeopardize the integrity. It's really no need to cut them anyway there's nothing there but a little bit of foam on the side. Like I said just open up what's there already a half inch or so to give more room to reach the deck dumps.

I never cared for the wind screen or splash guard, it does nothing. You can have a great seat without it. Either for sitting and fishing or carrying a passenger.

_storage_extSdCard_Pictures_Jet & Spray_IMG951884-1-1-1.jpg

Wow the bottom looks like new. You OCD? ��... shoot with some epoxy paint and run it.

Blog Entries

Here are some pre-disassembly pictures. Why the website insists on flipping some upside down I do not know....

Blog Entries

Here are some misc. disassembly pictures. Acces to the fuel vent and bilge discharge fitting were an absolute nightmare! The double clamped fittings were impossible to reach in the access hole. I had to wait until after the engine was pulled and have my son crawl up in the hole and reach his arm in there blind to get the clamps off. Check out the marker light wire connection. And a few random hoses just hanging out.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information