Largest PWC

Superstore

Collapse

Hit rock scraped into the fiberglass!! NEED HELP ON REPAIR!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chancer12
    PWCToday Newbie
    • May 2019

Hit rock scraped into the fiberglass!! NEED HELP ON REPAIR!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191208_123348.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	4554231

I have a 2019 sea doo GTR-X and I took a little hit on a rock scraped into the fiberglass. I hit it on the way back to the boat ramp and might have been in the water 5 mins after I hit it. Well I have it in my garage and I cleaned up the scrape and I am getting ready to repair and I notice water droplets coming from the scrape. So I been letting it sit to see if it will stop because I want it dry to do the repair. But still 2 weeks later it's still dripping very slightly. My question is do I need to let it completly dry to do the repair? And also if not is there anyway possible to get this dry quicker? I have everything to do the repair and the gel coat I just been hesitant to do it with the little drops of water. PLEASE HELP
  • Chester
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Feb 2002

Re: Hit rock scraped into the fiberglass!! NEED HELP ON REPAIR!!

Let it dry.

Chester.
    Speed is very expensive. How fast do you want to spend?

Stand up:
    98 SXi-Pro

Couches:

96 XP
    86 X2

Comment

• homebrewdoo
      PWCToday Regular
      • May 2014

remember ski's have two hullsClick image for larger version

Name:	Hull ski.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	4385600

Comment

• hemmjo
        Resident Guru
        • Oct 2013

If you can, turn the ski so that gouge is at the lowest spot. It may then take more time as more water runs to the low spot. You do not want to do the repair with water sandwiched between the layers. You can also use a shop vac to help evacuate the water from the spot. The vac will only remove free water, it will not suck out the final water that has saturated the fibers.

If you have a dehumidifer, make a "bag" around your ski with painters tape and poly sheeting. Put the dehumidifer in the bag with the ski. Try to set it so the discharge side is blowing dry air across the gouge. Put a drain hose running out of the bag. That will help it dry faster. Make sure the plastic is held away from the dehumidifer, so it does not get sucked against the intake grill.
        2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

Comment

• cleetus
          Top Dog
          • May 2005

I leave it in the garage with a 100 w bulb by it, its warm but no flame, a few days later I would just patch it..

Comment

• Chancer12
            PWCToday Newbie
            • May 2019

Thanks guys yes I have been letting it sit but with no heat near it but thanks for all your guys input and advice

Comment

• bowlerx
              I dream skis
              • Apr 2011

i would put a little space heater underneath it.
              2003 Sea Doo XPDI
              2016 Sea Doo Wake 155

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
                PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
                • Aug 2006

Space heater, heat gun, hair dryer or light bulb just make sure it is dry before you continue, you might consider drilling a small hole and seeing if anything comes out also, any trapped water needs to be evacuated.
                Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
                hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• Lakeside8
                  PWCToday Guru
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
                  Space heater, heat gun, hair dryer or light bulb just make sure it is dry before you continue, you might consider drilling a small hole and seeing if anything comes out also, any trapped water needs to be evacuated.
                  I had this happen and I also drilled a few holes and I had water run out. Then let it dry and all good for the repair!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Lakeside8
                    PWCToday Guru
                    • Aug 2013

Duraglas is a very good material to use for your patching.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X