Yamaha FX-1 (701) engine (reed case) SWAP?
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Yamaha FX-1 (701) engine (reed case) SWAP?

Anyone done this?

I see it for SJ's (and lots of (Kawi JS 440/550) but nothing for FX-1's.

Also, what about swapping the 701 engine case for one of the 701 reed cases?

I have to rebuild a 701 soon so I thought I might swap the case. I am wondering if it is just a bolt on swap AND how the stock carb, or MRD injection, linkage issues might work?

Re: Yamaha FX-1 (701) engine (reed case) SWAP?

Both versions of the 701 engine (61x and 62t) are reed engines. The 61x case has a single carb intake with reeds and the 62t is dual carb. These are not similar to the old piston port kawi motors. Im confused on what you’re asking, are you considering switching to dual carb from single carb?

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

So there are only two cases for the 701: 61x for single carb and 61t for dual carbs.

Can I swap my my 701 61x case straight across for 61t case (less carb set up)?
    As in, everything except the carb set up can be swapped form the 61x case to the 62t?
    I am also looking to use MRD injection so for that I will have to use the 61t case.

I was also looking for an engine swap but nothing seems to be available (except for the larger SJ).

Quote Originally Posted by SurfSN View Post
    Both versions of the 701 engine (61x and 62t) are reed engines. The 61x case has a single carb intake with reeds and the 62t is dual carb. These are not similar to the old piston port kawi motors. Im confused on what you’re asking, are you considering switching to dual carb from single carb?

The crankshaft is the same between the 61x and 62t. You can also use either cylinders on either cases. Nothing else is really cross compatible.

If I was you I’d stick with the 61x case. Nothing really to gain from going to 62t unless you are running a big bore. Plus it would be more complicated since you are running the MRD

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JSNate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FX1x2 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

So there are only two cases for the 701: 61x for single carb and 61t for dual carbs.

Can I swap my my 701 61x case straight across for 61t case (less carb set up)?
    As in, everything except the carb set up can be swapped form the 61x case to the 62t?
    I am also looking to use MRD injection so for that I will have to use the 61t case.

I was also looking for an engine swap but nothing seems to be available (except for the larger SJ).
    61X is the single carb 701. 62T is the dual carb 701. I think you may be confusing many of us familiar with the engines regarding what your goal is with this ski. I am unclear on what you are trying to accomplish? However, I can say this: Both the 61X and 62T have advantages depending on your performance goal. Obviously a 62T will deliver more power and both are very reliable with bolt on modifications. I personally feel these engines with OEM carburetors offer an expansive range that can easily and reliably attain most any performance goal.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bionic racing's Avatar

Put a 760 in it if you want to

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bionic racing View Post
    There ya go, a bolt in engine swap!
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

A ported 760 is a great engine!! Run one in one of my Air Blair Darts.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bionic racing's Avatar

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
    There is the 46 mm MRD off my fx1 , all MRD set ups were desighned to bolt to kawi 650 cases , X2 race class stuff , then adaptor plates were fitted to other engine applications , that plate fits 61x cases , also have 62t case plate , same plate that is used to convert 62t cases to a single carb kawi 650 set up from duals when that was popular

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
    There is the 46 mm MRD off my fx1 , all MRD set ups were desighned to bolt to kawi 650 cases , X2 race class stuff , then adaptor plates were fitted to other engine applications , that plate fits 61x cases , also have 62t case plate , same plate that is used to convert 62t cases to a single carb kawi 650 set up from duals when that was popular

How did the MRD perform in your ski? I assume its a mechanical system? Was it reliable and functional in any type of riding condition? In other words: Did you feel it was in any way better than carbs? Sorry so many questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information