Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

98 GTS Electrical/Ignition Issue?

I'm a new owner and bought a 98' GTS Seadoo. It does not start and appears to be a electrical/ignition issue. I have testing lanyard/safety and start/stop switch according to manual and they check out. With charged battery and landyard installed I get two beeps. Try starting and ski turns over a few seconds or for a few times but then dies and I can get no voltage to the ignition coil.
    From this point I need to disconnect battery and reconnect to 'reset' system so I can even try again but end up in same scenario. Any ideas of how I might go about troubleshooting would be great....

I dream skis

Re: 98 GTS Electrical/Ignition Issue?

I am not familiar with Seadoo, but this is a generic test you can do on anything.

Put a voltmeter on the battery when you try to start it. When it turns over for that "few seconds", watch happens to the battery voltage. and make a note of that. Then move your voltage probes to the other end of the battery cables, and note the voltage when you do that same test. Keep repeating that test as you move the probes further from the battery.

You may find that the battery is bad or you have a corroded connection someplace. Bad grounds are one of the most common problems.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Just to be clear....

Your SeaDoo Will crank, crank, crank, then nothing right?

Do as Hemmjo says above to start. A full charged battery should be 12.5 volts or more when sitting, and should not drop below 11 volts when cranking.

If that passes, check for voltage at the start relay when you are trying to crank. If you have 12v after the relay to the starter, I am guessing you have a bad starter.

Also try cranking with the plugs out. (No compression) Will it crank longer like that?
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

Yes jetski cranks for a second or two then more often then not it stops with 3 short beeps and will not crank again. Thats when I need to disconnect battery and reconnect before it will do it again. sometimes I'll get a second crank before it dies.

Battery is 12.8 volts (measured at starter relay) when sitting and dropped to 9 volts when cranking.
    Took sparkplugs out and battery only dropped to 11.1 when cranking and it would crank all day without dying.

I dream skis

9 volts if not enough. Put the plugs back in and check the voltage drop at the battery. If the voltage drops close to the same as when you tested at the starter relay, your battery is bad. If the voltage remains high, the problem is possibly in your connections.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

It stops cranking due to your voltage loss. Again as Hemmjo says above, you need to determine why you have a loss. (Either bad battery, or cable)
    email watcon@watcon.com

thank you

PWCToday Newbie

Much appreciate the assist and I am following...... I'll test shortly and report back results/findings.

PWCToday Newbie

With plugs reinstalled and voltage measured at battery it dropped to 9v when cranking.

Checked all connections in electric box and they looked steller and tight. Gonna remove battery and replace and clean battery connections at battery and starter.

I'll update on outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by pjustic1 View Post
    With plugs reinstalled and voltage measured at battery it dropped to 9v when cranking.

Checked all connections in electric box and they looked steller and tight. Gonna remove battery and replace and clean battery connections at battery and starter.

I'll update on outcome.
    If you only have 9v at your battery when cranking, you have found your issue, you have a bad battery.
    email watcon@watcon.com

thank you

Thread Information