LBC To Catalina Endurance race, I want to do it.
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LBC To Catalina Endurance race, I want to do it.

Turning 50 this year and just retired from 25 years of enduro dirt bike racing. Returned to the sport I loved in the 90's, been practicing on the lake, buoys, long distance, etc on 787 HX and 701 Blaster. Not happy without some sort of contest and there are none around here. I think I can pull off 65 miles or so as long as the sea state is relatively calm. I have lots of sea experience growing up on boats in Miami but not on jet skis in the ocean, my only experience has been buoy course racing and lake riding. I know the difference a 4 ft swell will make vs flat seas, but I've never ridden at speed in open ocean swells. My goal would just be to finish, if anyone has experience with enduro racing I'd love any tips/warnings/etc. Pretty sure I'm going to need a modernish 4 stroke, leaning towards the Kawi hulls for their rough water V hulls and the showroom stock class. Also, might make this about a charity that supports the rare illness my 14 yr old daughter has, so there's the fundraising/charity aspect. Whatever, I'm lining up next July in Long Beach...

Re: LBC To Catalina Endurance race, I want to do it.

I don't have much experience with this. You probably still have the stamina to do this, but I can tell you that going at WAT on a comparatively (to boat hull) small hull on ocean swells is much different than on lakes. In addition, It's completely different taking a pounding on a hull than on an enduro shock absorber.

But good choice on a Kawi. Kawi hulls are much stronger than others. And I believe Kawasaki 310's have consistently won those Cat races over the years. Good Luck!
    Last edited by aggrovated; 11-13-2019 at 02:36 PM.

double post
    Last edited by aggrovated; 11-13-2019 at 02:36 PM.

PWCToday Guru

Check out this Link here . . . There's alot of info about this event in it. JB

https://pwcoffshore.com/lb2cat-race

Ross Wallach
    November 12 at 11:06 AM
    Offshore Endurance Racers:

Mark you calendars, the 2020 LB2CAT returns and will become part of the famed 72nd Annual Catalina Ski Race on July 25th, 2020!

Classes will remain the same, the course will increase from 56 miles to 62 miles round trip.

More information forthcoming at www.rpmracingent.com

Looking forward to keeping this race alive!!

Ross Wallach, President
    RPM RACING ENTERPRISES

This couldn't be even close to as hard as a 100 mile offroad enduro. I could do one tomorrow. Give me a heavy, powerful ski with a 22 deg bow dead rise.

PWCToday Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bark3rd View Post
    This couldn't be even close to as hard as a 100 mile offroad enduro. I could do one tomorrow. Give me a heavy, powerful ski with a 22 deg bow dead rise.
    Oh it can be . . . trust me on that one! JB

Lol, I'm no stranger to the ocean and she can be a cruel mistress sometimes. I need to figure out what kind of boat I will be able to hold on to wide open for so long. I'm thinking the bigger the better. I may be limited to rentals in the area (not bringing my HX from TX to CA, don't think it has the fuel range anyway).

I dream skis

Water looked good in that video, but on a windy day, that could be brutal. I would be a bit concerned about a reliability of a rental over 50+ miles at wide open throttle.

But, GOOD LUCK, sounds like a fun day for sure.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

I hate the idea of a rental too but I like my HX's and Blasters and dont want to buy a giant 4 stroke for one race. Looking at a mint and cheap 97 GP 1200, I'd appreciate opinions on the fuel range of this machine. It comes with a free nice Raider 1100 too. I just want to finish to keep that in mind. Probably the worst possible boat candidates in all the world for a race like this, lol. I used to have a 97 GP, it was modified for the Limited class and it was a long time ago but I remember it being not so great in the rough and gas guzzler. Probably would have a better chance on the Raider. Thanks!
    Last edited by Bark3rd; 11-21-2019 at 12:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information