User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

X2 owner - Just saying "Hello"

Soon enough I will be asking questions and, hopefully chiming in on topics, but before I starting asking questions I just wanted to say hello.

I purchased a 1990 Kawasaki X2 that had been sitting for 10 years (I was told). By the look and smell of the fuel, I would say that is about right.

After dealing with fuel issues, replacing fuel lines, water lines and building some new steering bushings my friend and I thought it was nice enough to go for a rip... there was snow on the shore because, Canada...Sept 27 - 30 we got over 8" of snowfall. It was freezing!.. but we got to ride it for about half an hour and we got to test my rig, his X2 and Wave Jammer.

I believe the ski is in decent shape, for what I paid for it. The person who sold it to me said that the original owner has done some modifications to it. There are a few obvious "mods". Bars, finger throttle, ride plate, prop, Westcoast manifold and Coffman exhaust... I'm probably missing something.

It has some less obvious "mods" including some case porting, head work and I believe removing some material from the base. I have to compare to a stock engine (my friend has one) to know for sure.

It doesn't appear that the person(s) who "modified" it did a great job. I don't like to criticize, but the case poring was brutal, there are some major port timing issues (not fully opening - base cut ?) and the engine was assembled without a seal ring / spacer on the PTO side... I have no idea how it ran without seizing. Oh... it has a upsized carburetor, but because of the throttle cable mounting position / angle, the carburetor doesn't open all the way... so obviously, someone was able to overlook these fairly simple issues.

The engine is out, apart and if i'm optimistic, 1/3 of the way into my porting process. I didn't take a log of before photos / video, but I may post a thread with my progress and some tips for the DIY port job. I've watched a lot of videos, read a lot of posts and I feel like there's a lot of little things that get left out / overlooked.

Anyway... That's how I say "Hello!"

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: X2 owner - Just saying "Hello"

Hello. Welcome.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

The X2 is a blast to ride. Welcome. It sounds like you know your way around 2 stroke engines. The Kawasaki 650 engine is plentiful in availability of used engines and parts. But a 750 or 800 is a really nice upgrade...
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

I love the X2. I have had access to new, bigger and mower powerful skis, but the X2 was the only one that I tried and then went out and bought one. Not saying that there aren't other skis that I'd like to have, just that this one made sense to me.

I know enough about engines to get myself in trouble, haha. I am doing a rebuild on my engine and now have my engine mostly ported. I'm not sure if this is common with the 650 engine, but the port timing from cylinder to cylinder was off by a few degrees from the factory. You don't have to be a tech nerd to know that's not ideal. I didn't want to raise the power too high in the rpm range.

I'm also noticing that both the transfers and exhaust ports are never fully open, as they are blocked by the piston at bottom dead centre. I know i've seen this on other engines, but it seems excessive and restrictive. I believe there's a lot to be gained by a thick base gasket (or spacer as it is 3mm). I have a milling machine and lathe so I may try spacing the base and then decking the cylinder as the head is already cut down.

I'm going to do my best to keep it making power down low, but I may end up having to start from scratch with new jugs. Either way, I'm enjoy the process.
    Last edited by X2Onthewater; 11-04-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Thread Information