Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Waveblaster Yamaha 1100 Triple Swap Questions

Hi everyone, I'm new here to this site (which has supplied me with TONS of valuable information). Last year I finished my Waveblaster 1 build (718cc, Jetmaniac ported, Riva pipe, etc) and I fell in love with it so much that I wanted to build another one. I have Lake Erie minutes away from me and I have had so much fun hitting waves and enjoying everything the 'Blaster can do. I thought about doing a triple swap in my next 'Blaster, so I've been on the lookout for a cheap couch for a donor. Fast forward to last weekend when I'm hitting a bunch of garage sales and the perfect donor fell into my lap. Sitting on a big 5th wheel trailer full of junk for sale is a 1995 Wave Raider 1100. The guy said it ran but didn't know very much else about, it looked complete, so I took a chance after we settled on a price of a mere $200 and backed up to the trailer, put the tailgate on my truck down and pushed it in. After I got it home, I put some fresh gas/oil premix in the carbs and it fired right up!

Compression was a little low, so I figured I'll pull the engine and go through it. I did my 61x 701 in my Waveblaster and it has been an extremely reliable machine, so I want to do the same for this project. This leads me to my next couple of questions for all of you guys.

I plan on doing the following mods:

-oil injection delete
    -Waveblaster 2 6mm steering cable w/ ADA billet steering cable holder
    -Wave Raider 1100 waterbox from my donor ski w/ rear exit exhaust
    -new OEM crank seals
    -have the head milled to bump the compression to 140-150PSI and run 93 octane pump gas
    -have the cylinders ported (I'm thinking Ted Boyko Racing is a great option for this work)
    -1mm over bore to 1077cc, since compression is currently low (at around 100 PSI)
    -new prop (15/22 Solas maybe?)
    -1100 triple mounts (ADA or Extreme Throttle)

1) How well will the 1100 Yamaha engine respond to the bigger bore, some minor port work, and bumped compression to 140-150 PSI? I know that my 61x 701 in my other 'Blaster is super reliable and responded extremely well to the bigger bore, Jetmaniac porting, and 165PSI compression with a shaved head.

2) What prop would be the best to run with this 1100 triple that I'll be putting in? 15/22 big hub Solas, 16/23, how much set back on the prop, etc? It will be in the stock 144mm 'Blaster pump housing.

3) Should I do ADA 1100 engine mounts or Extreme Throttle. I thought about doing the Extreme Throttle ones because you can set the engine back a little bit and use a GP760 midshaft to make it work (I have a spare GP760 midshaft), but I like how well made the way the ADA mounts are. Is it better to move the engine back slightly with the Extreme Throttle mounts or does it not matter that much when it comes to handling?

4) What is some good baseline jetting that you guys would recommend for my engine mods that I plan on doing?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help! I'll keep you guys posted with my (slow) progress.

Re: Waveblaster Yamaha 1100 Triple Swap Questions

1- Big bore (no replacement for displacement) the porting is a must. The 1100 you have is unique in that the factory did a terrible job matching the sleeves to the cylinder (4mm off) so anything you do here will be a easy port job and a massive improvement. Leave compression stock.

2 15/22 big hub

3- the ADA mounts can be had for 259.00 if you search enough (billet goodness nuff said)

4- Talk to Carter to get this perfect.

Cool build do a thread. GL
    Last edited by Hydro-Mike; 09-19-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Run a girdled head at 150lbs or more on triples.

Motor back far as possible. You can always add more forward lead if you need.
    1994 1100 SJ - Dead
    1996 spec hx
    "I'm going to be installing the hooker on my driveshaft in the next two weeks." -Element3488

Thanks for the info, guys! It seems like you guys have answered what I needed to know, but the only thing I'm still stuck on is the motor mount/adapter plate. The ADA 1100 engine mounts are billet aluminum and seem very stout as you mentioned. But if I go with the Extreme Throttle motor mounts, I can move the engine back slightly and use the GP760 midshaft that I have. What direction should I go here?

Good reasons to move the engine back. It will do almost everything your wanting to do better. Sounds like you have your answer.

So as much as I'd like to use the ADA mounts, the extra 1" to 1-1/2" that the Extreme Throttle mounts would move the engine back would most likely be a better option you guys would all agree on?

After finishing my build last Spring and riding this awesome 1100 triple 'Blaster without any issues all season long, I can now answer some of my own questions for anyone that might be curious about doing a triple 'Blaster swap.

1) How well will the 1100 Yamaha engine respond to the bigger bore, some minor port work, and bumped compression to 140-150 PSI? I know that my 61x 701 in my other 'Blaster is super reliable and responded extremely well to the bigger bore, Jetmaniac porting, and 165PSI compression with a shaved head.

Erickson Machine and performance bored my 1100, ported it, and milled the head for 150PSI compression. The 1100 responds amazing to these mods. I did dual cooling and dried the pipe out slightly and added a flow control valve. After riding another 'Blaster with a stock 1200 swap, I can say my 1100 was faster, except on the top end. It has a really nice linear torque curve and just pulls and pulls. Mine also drank quite a bit less fuel compared to a stock 1200, which is great.

2) What prop would be the best to run with this 1100 triple that I'll be putting in? 15/22 big hub Solas, 16/23, how much set back on the prop, etc? It will be in the stock 144mm 'Blaster pump housing.

I ran the 15/22 big hub Solas and I love it. It pulls like a freight train all through the RPM range.

3) Should I do ADA 1100 engine mounts or Extreme Throttle. I thought about doing the Extreme Throttle ones because you can set the engine back a little bit and use a GP760 midshaft to make it work (I have a spare GP760 midshaft), but I like how well made the way the ADA mounts are. Is it better to move the engine back slightly with the Extreme Throttle mounts or does it not matter that much when it comes to handling?

The ADA mounts are great. I went this route, and after riding my 1100 'Blaster with the ADA mounts and a 1200 swapped 'Blaster with the Extreme Throttle mounts that move the engine back an inch or so, I can tell you there's barely any difference. The ADA mounts are built extremely well and I highly doubt you could ever bend or break them.

4) What is some good baseline jetting that you guys would recommend for my engine mods that I plan on doing?

I believe I ended up 112.5 mains and 80 pilot jets with flame arrestors and 32PSI for the pop off pressure. It's just a tad rich on the top end, but not bad. I'd say I could probably go down to 110 mains and be OK, but I'm happy right now with the performance.

PWCToday Regular

Thank you for putting this information out. I literally just snagged a 1100 Yamaha motor today to swap in my blaster and I was looking for all this.
    Have you done a gps top speed with your set up?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbtch View Post
    Thank you for putting this information out. I literally just snagged a 1100 Yamaha motor today to swap in my blaster and I was looking for all this.
    Have you done a gps top speed with your set up?
    Glad to help out with another 'Blaster triple swap. To anyone else doing it, here's what I'd recommend, especially with an 1100 Yamaha engine.

1) Have it ported and have the stock head milled for 150 PSI by a good builder that knows these engines (I highly recommend Erickson Machine and Performance https://www.facebook.com/EricksonsMandP/ ).

2) Sell the stock 63M 1100 electronics and flywheel (they bring good money, up to $300) and replace it with GP1200 65U electronics. You'll be happy you did this, because of slightly better performance and reliability. The CDI which is mounted right on the engine will shake as the engine vibrates and eventually go bad. The stock GP1200 65U electronics mount in a box that's the same size as the stock 'Blaster box and it will mount in the same location as the stock 'Blaster box.

3) Take your time when cutting the holes for the exhaust, double, triple, or quadruple check everything before you make your cuts and you'll be fine.

Once you're done you will have a really quick 1100 'Blaster that's built up nicely for performance, reliability, decent fuel efficiency......basically something that is even a little quicker than a stock 1200 without guzzling as much fuel.

I never GPS'd mine, but I've been around many, many different types of bikes, ATVs, skis, etc and I can tell you based on my experience that it feels like it easily runs in the high 50's for sure. My 701 'Blaster with a ported Jet Maniac 718 61x/61x runs 50MPH. With the 1100 in my other 'Blaster, I'd say it probably runs around 58MPH or so, maybe close to 60. The 'Blaster hull isn't really designed for speeds like this and if it's choppy it gets a little squirrely, but with the extra weight of the triple in it, the nose does stay planted a little better than with a twin in it. I will tell you that it certainly gets to top speed in what feels like no time at all. After half a day of riding and you're not used to it, your shoulders will get a little sore because it feels like it tries to yank itself right out of your hands every time you accelerate hard. And on top of it, the high compression ported triple with a rear exit exhaust sounds AMAZING! I've gotten a lot of compliments from people on the lake with it. It's one of the most fun machines I've ever rode in my life, I absolutely love it, and I'd highly recommend this swap to anyone that loves speed and handling. It's like riding a liter bike before they had all that dumb traction control and ABS stuff on them. I'd say it's comparable to my 2004 Yamaha R1 on the water.

PWCToday Regular

So you stuck with the stock 1100 carbs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information