Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1999 Genesis carb, no spark, need help

I have a 1999 Polaris Genesis 1200 that has been a one owner since new. Well maintained up to about 6 years ago when it was put into the rear corner of the garage and forgotten about. Ran well up to then. My buddy dropped it off to me since i have storage space and he lost his. Iím trying to get it running once again. Of course his battery is dead and i am jump starting or cranking it with a fully charged car battery. 12.7 volts, 11.5 when cranking.
    Looking for suggestions on which way or how to figure out which component has gone bad.
    Problems: the dash does light up the display works when hooked up to the battery.
    Gas tank has very little gas, bad of course, in it. Oil tank has very little in it. There is no spark at all on all three plug cables. Compression is good, 130,135,130.
    The bilge pump makes no noise when the button is pushed.
    The reverse gate does not move or make noise when the buttons are pushed.
    Of course the steering cable is broke, needs replacing.
    Been doing some reading and it tends to lean towards the components in the power box or the stator.
    Are there any test electronically that i can do to eliminate some parts from being bad.
    I have a Greenlee DM-20 digital multimeter.
    Inside the CDI box looks really good, no corrosion and all connections look to be greased.
    I would appreciate greatly any help and assistance that i can get to get this ski back on the water.
    Anyone have a hidden cache of parts in their garage? Thanks in advance. And yes i have tried searching the threads for info.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 1999 Genesis carb, no spark, need help

I have 12.7 volts at the battery and purple /red wire in the CDI before starting. Then once the start button is pushed i get 9.9 there and 7.5 on the brown wire. Could that be the non-spark problem??

PWCToday Newbie

Although cranking voltage at CDI is on the low side, the fact that you are getting 7.5 volts on the brown wire suggests that the CDI is waking up. You might try cranking it with black/yellow wire disconnected from the CDI. This eliminates the lanyard switch. If there is still no spark, check the resistance of stator and ignition coil. The hall effect sensors require power for testing. You can find instructions on how to do this with a 9volt battery and a digital volt meter.

Sent from my KING_KONG_3 using Tapatalk

Cdi , hard to find , had to purchase a known good wrecked one to fix the first one , 2 years waiting for parts , that is the common failure part

PWCToday Newbie

Hey i discovered the problem. There must not have been enough balls in the car battery that i was using to start the ski. I bought a new battery for the ski and it now sparks. Had the ski running with a few shots of WD 40 into the carbs. I did take apart all of gas lines and gas tank to clean all. Plenty of crap built up in the nipples of the water separator. She did start up and ran pretty well for short spurts. Thanks for help.

PWCToday Newbie

Great! I am glad you got it going. I thought I would suggest checking to see if the red/purple wire from the CDI is still connected to the red/purple wire to the stator. If it is, I would recommend disconnecting it and installing a jumper between it and an orange terminal on the terminal board. This was done from the factory on later models and was a service bulletin for the 1999 model year. I have seen a few machines without it work fine for a few years and then start having trouble with no spark when warm. Installing the jumper corrected it.

Sent from my KING_KONG_3 using Tapatalk

Thread Information