Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

2002 Yamaha SUV with an 1100 triple engine, kill switch doesn't work

I've got a Yamaha SUV everything factory but there was a motorswap with an 1100 triple. Previous owner states the kill switch worked fine until one day it didn't. This was with the engine swap that it still worked fine. I put another kill switch on there and it doesn't work either. I'm thinking something else is wrong. Can anyone help me diagnose this thing or give me some pointers as to what to look for? I've checked all grounds and they're fine. I did notice that the RPMs on the gauges aren't accurate if that helps. They flutter back and forth between true RPMs and lower RPMs while running most of the time. Again, the kill switch will not work. I can pull the lanyard as well as hit the kill button and it won't turn off the ski. I have to pull a spark plug boot off to kill the motor or let it die on it's own at idle as I have the idle screw turned way down for this.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: 2002 Yamaha SUV with an 1100 triple engine, kill switch doesn't work

The kill switch is a fairly simple switch it grounds out the ignition circuit, either the switch isn't working which is quite common on a Yamaha and quite easily checked with a volt ohm meter or the switch isn't grounded properly, no one here is going to be able to tell you which without you doing some basic troubleshooting on your own.

Kill switch wires are black and white put your meter on x1 ohms scale one lead on white , one lead on black , the tether cord must be attached, hit the stop button, it should read continuity , remove the lanyard it should again read continuity if this checks out the switch is working and its not grounded or is hooked up to the wrong wires.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

I was 300SXing when 300SXing wasn't cool !

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 2002 Yamaha SUV with an 1100 triple engine, kill switch doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    The kill switch is a fairly simple switch it grounds out the ignition circuit, either the switch isn't working which is quite common on a Yamaha and quite easily checked with a volt ohm meter or the switch isn't grounded properly, no one here is going to be able to tell you which without you doing some basic troubleshooting on your own.

Kill switch wires are black and white put your meter on x1 ohms scale one lead on white , one lead on black , the tether cord must be attached, hit the stop button, it should read continuity , remove the lanyard it should again read continuity if this checks out the switch is working and its not grounded or is hooked up to the wrong wires.
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I will perform these checks asap and get back to you. This is the exact kind of information I was looking for. I'm very mechanically inclined, just not so much on the electrical side. I can perform tests, I just need to know what to test and how to test them. Again, thanks for the reply. I'm hoping I can hunt down this gremlin.

Thread Information