» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Crankshaft Rear Cylinder Seized 08 GP1300R

20190821_194533.jpg

20190821_194544.jpg

2008 YAMAHA GP1300R

My story and my questions:

Bought used with only 27 hours but it was 9 years old.

Maybe it sat alot because the seat was sun damaged, so were the decals.

Impeller was stuck, Paid only $2500 and took the risk.

Installed stainless steel Riva housing for impeller, she started right up, went on 5 rides in 1-1/2 years.

All I did was carefully flush her with fresh water afterwards, no other maintenance, I was busy at work.

I thought,............ low hours, I will eventually do a tune -up............why worry

Two months ago I rode her for half a day, she ran awesome !!

Got home, did the flush with the garden hose, only half the pressure my local mechanic warned.........turn water off before shutting off engine

So two months go by.......can't turn crankshaft by hand

tore her down, you see the pictures

all 3 spark plugs look like they were burning oil

all 3 cylinders look even in the cylinders but the rear piston goes down into a dry sump cavity no oil in there !!

1) is there a passage that can become clogged not letting the sump get any oil? Can the cylinder still be getting oil but something blocking the path to make it to the sump?

Its easy to say the factory premix oil pump or lines clogged but could it be just a clogged passageway to the sump? It may take an expert mechanic to answer this one?

2) Since it appears the crankshaft will have to be removed, can that be fixed by a local mechanic or is it always cheaper to buy a rebuilt engine in my case and return my engine as the core? Its a shame because the other two cylinders and the crankshaft portion under them are perfect looking.

Thank you for your help !!

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Crankshaft Rear Cylinder Seized 08 GP1300R

you obviously had water getting in on the crank. Is that wet I see not water? It took a while to rust up that bad. I would also guess that that piston and cylinder has some damage as well. More than likely the water jacket leaking past a gasket. Inspect that cylinder closely for any way the water could have gotten in.Check short block technology for a rebuilt crank.
    Last edited by fx1mark; 08-22-2019 at 12:33 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

fx1mark,

THANK YOU for your insights and knowledge.

There was no water in that sump compartment but yes it appears that is has been rusting for some time.

I will seek to investigate the water jacket crevices for intrusions.

Do we blame the oil injecton system at all at this point as part of the problem or do we thing the water intrusion washed away any oil coming in to help lube things, the latter seems like the scenario?

Thank you again !!!

PWCToday Newbie

Rusted bearings made the crank fail. If it was a lack of oil the piston would seize in the cylinder before the crank seized.

did anyone tow it? are you sure you didn't have it on the hose when the motor wasn't running... if the head was leaking the piston top would be washed clean...

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by fx1mark View Post
    Rusted bearings made the crank fail. If it was a lack of oil the piston would seize in the cylinder before the crank seized.
    fx1mark, Thank you for targeting what caused the fail so I will focus my efforts to prevent this from now on.....looking at spending $3000 to do through everything right.....I love this ski

PWCToday Newbie

cleetus,

The original owner said he was selling it because he had to move. At 27 hours I would have never parted with such a nice machine, but maybe he already knew it had salt corrosion in the water jackets because he did not flush it right. He may have know it was a ticking time bomb because the bolts turned like someone had disassembled that engine before, saw the crank beginning to seize. sewed it back up and sold it to this fool who came along. But I love this ski, I will rebuild it and take good care of her now.

PWCToday Newbie

QUESTIONS:

- Does a D-Plate which replaces the catalytic converter cause any ECU/ECM issues?
    - How often does a bilge pump go bad? Should I install aftermarket rear drain plugs that act as one way check-valves, only draining in forward motion?
    - My mechanic is dropping a new re-built engine in her, while that engine bay is open and accessible, what things should I be changing for an 11-year old machine that seized with only 39 hours? I intend to keep the factory oil injection but change the lines and check valves.

Blige pumps can freeze and split.. and if you splice them in the splice can fail, but they run forever..
    Don't know what you mean by D-plate replacing Catalytic converter- no CC in your ski

"while that engine bay is open and accessible, what things should I be changing for an 11-year old machine that seized with only 39 hours?" really inspect hoses and fuel lines. Gas thank for sludge, fuel pickups for debris, and all your rubber parts for rot or damage...

PWCToday Newbie

cleetus,

Thank you for your input, I may have wasted money but I ordered a new bilge pump from the dealer yesterday. They also sold me the cat converter spacer plate, if I really don't end up finding that cat, I will return this thing. It also comes with a sensor scrambler so the ECU gets the proper signal.

I will
    - inspect hoses and fuel lines.
    - Gas tank for sludge, fuel pickups for debris
    - rubber parts for rot or damage

What does everyone think about those aftermarket rear drain plugs that act as one way check-valves, only draining in forward motion?

Thank you !!
    Last edited by Designeer; 08-25-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Thread Information