Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Running out of water?

Quick question; 95 WaveRaider. Can I run it out of the water?

I've been searching the internet and getting mixed answers. Some say you need to hook a hose up to start it in the yard, others say no. What's the real deal? I don't want to damage something but it's a pain to take it to the water every time I make an adjustment.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I dream skis

Re: Running out of water?

You can start it in the yard or driveway for the right reasons if you keep these things in mind.

1) The exhaust is water cooled, no water, no cooling, so you can only run it for SHORT times, like 15-30 seconds with no water. I always start mine out of the water as soon as I hook the trailer up, before I leave home then again at the lake just before launching just to make sure it starts. At the end of the day, after I get it on the trailer, to blow out excess water from the exhaust system.

2) The pump shaft seal was designed to be run in the water., so even hooking water to the engine does not help the seal.

3) Perhaps most important, you cannot make any significant tuning adjustments out of the water, because the ACTUAL running conditions are so much different when the pump is in the water. If you set the idle on the trailer, it will be too low in the water. You should not "rev it up" out of the water, there is no valid reason to do that. It takes very little power to do that out of the water so you learn nothing about your tune-up by doing it.

4) If you ride in salt water you should flush the salt out by running on a hose.

5) I hook mine to a hose in the fall to run the fuel out of the carbs during the winterizing process.
    Last edited by hemmjo; 07-21-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Running out of water?

Thanks for the info!

Thread Information