Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Blog Entries

Re: Krash 50 Cal Foot Rocket Rider Review

At least it was an easy fix. Has your friend looked into swapping in a Yamaha engine? Probably end up saving money vs the loss he is taking selling and the cost of a new SJ. might be able to come out ahead selling the kv997 engine.
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JSNate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
    At least it was an easy fix. Has your friend looked into swapping in a Yamaha engine? Probably end up saving money vs the loss he is taking selling and the cost of a new SJ. might be able to come out ahead selling the kv997 engine.

We talked about going that route. But, this is his only stand up ski and his wife rides as well. He feels the SJ will be a more suitable ski for this purpose. However, he hasn't given up on the idea of an aftermarket hull for a second ski in the future. He really digs my Air Blair's, so he may order a Dart from Adam Blair in the future. I will gladly assemble it for him with a Yamaha engine and drive-line. One thing about the Air Blair skis is they can take a major beating and bounce back for more.. All aftermarket skis will require attention from time to time. There are always things needing tweaking and adjustment. But, its hard to beat the reliability of a lightly modded 701 or 760 attached to a Yamaha 155 mm pump..

Sadly, the Krash sold this week. So, I won't be able to update this thread for obvious reasons. I really enjoyed the time I got to spend with this ski and I still think the RTP Krash skis are a very good value. However, owning one does, from my experience, require an owner that is willing to wrench frequently and have good knowledge of two stroke PWC.
    Last edited by JSNate; 02-04-2020 at 10:34 AM.

JSNate/SJNate/AMNate: Thanks for updating your ride report. You are one of my favorite posters on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JSNate View Post
    [I]ts hard to beat the reliability of a lightly modded 701 or 760 attached to a Yamaha 155 mm pump..
    I really enjoyed the time I got to spend with this ski and I still think the RTP Krash skis are a very good value. However, owning one does, from my experience, require an owner that is willing to wrench frequently and have good knowledge of two stroke PWC.
    Doesn't building "a lightly modded 701 or 760 attached to a Yamaha 155 mm pump" require a "willingness to wrench" and also "a good knowledge of two stroke PWC"?

In fact, does it take more or less "two stroke knowledge" to maintain/repair a Krash RTP under warranty than to build "a lightly modded 701 or 760 attached to a Yamaha 155 mm pump" not under warranty?

My guess is that either route would cost about the same, wouldn't it?

Buying a Krash RTP under warranty means you ride it until it breaks under warranty.

Wouldn't building a new AM hull with Yamaha components mean that you would have to search others for the best design for your specific AM hull, look for the engine-electronics-drive train-pump-steering components, buy the components, learn how to fiberglass, learn how to install the components, and then after what could be months to a year, ride it until it breaks not under warranty?

Or am I missing something?

Personally, I am trying to complete or get most of my ski and other projects well on their way to completion, at which time I hope that Krash has released their direct injection 2-stroke engine.
    Last edited by E350; 02-04-2020 at 01:13 PM.
    Learning Slowly...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

Welcome to the jet ski life. The Krash skis are a nice idea, however, they warranty parts it seems like that you are still responsible for the labor in which you have to do yourself. Personally when acquiring a new ski, I prefer to build from the ground up that way I know the ins and outs of the entire machine, what I did and why, so repairs/mods are easier to take care of and the reliability factor is all on "me." Going to an aftermarket hull I feel is a different world than lets say a x-2, sxr, superjet, etc... even though many hulls are based on the same layout, fitment/custom work is applied as they are not just bolt and go. Any ski that I have ever owned, I wrenched on for some reason or another, no getting around it. A aftermarket hull with a Yamaha will be a lot easier to find parts and mod as opposed to a Krash motor.

This is just my opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by E350 View Post
    JSNate/SJNate/AMNate: Thanks for updating your ride report. You are one of my favorite posters on this forum.

Doesn't building "a lightly modded 701 or 760 attached to a Yamaha 155 mm pump" require a "willingness to wrench" and also "a good knowledge of two stroke PWC"?

In fact, does it take more or less "two stroke knowledge" to maintain/repair a Krash RTP under warranty than to build "a lightly modded 701 or 760 attached to a Yamaha 155 mm pump" not under warranty?

My guess is that either route would cost about the same, wouldn't it?

Buying a Krash RTP under warranty means you ride it until it breaks under warranty.

Wouldn't building a new AM hull with Yamaha components mean that you would have to search others for the best design for your specific AM hull, look for the engine-electronics-drive train-pump-steering components, buy the components, learn how to fiberglass, learn how to install the components, and then after what could be months to a year, ride it until it breaks not under warranty?

Or am I missing something?

Personally, I am trying to complete or get most of my ski and other projects well on their way to completion, at which time I hope that Krash has released their direct injection 2-stroke engine.

Going to answer your questions the best I can.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes. Cost would be close. However, cost wasn't part of the consideration. Primary goal is to increase ride time and decrease wrench time.

4. Correct.. However, if we took the ski in for each issue we ran into, the ski would have spent a considerable amount of time in the shop. The dealership has one PWC mechanic. And they carry a full line of Yamaha and Sea Doo PWC.. So, that is one busy mechanic during peak riding season.

5. Depending on the aftermarket hull purchased. If he goes with an Air Blair Dart, it will be very familiar to me. And we would use the same pump, impeller pitch and components as one of my skis.. So, we have two examples as a template. The AB's come with a 155 mm pump shoe. So, Yamaha engines and pumps are drop in..

6. I don't think you are missing anything? But, I will honestly try to do my best to cover additional questions.

As noted at the beginning of this thread, this ski was not mine. If it were, would I have kept it? Yes, most likely. But, I do have the two AB's and generally own at least one SJ. So, I would have a ski if the Krash went down and it took me some time to resolve any issue.

The Yamaha engines, pumps and hardware have existed for several decades. Not much happens to them that I can't quickly ascertain the cause of an issue. Plus, parts are readily available and abundant.

I think and hope Krash will continue to improve their product. The KV997 is a great running and powerful engine. but, from my experience has some room for improvement regarding reliability. I do think they will get there. And, I dig the fact Krash is working hard to do just that.
    Last edited by JSNate; 02-04-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushford_Ripper View Post
    Welcome to the jet ski life. The Krash skis are a nice idea, however, they warranty parts it seems like that you are still responsible for the labor in which you have to do yourself. Personally when acquiring a new ski, I prefer to build from the ground up that way I know the ins and outs of the entire machine, what I did and why, so repairs/mods are easier to take care of and the reliability factor is all on "me." Going to an aftermarket hull I feel is a different world than lets say a x-2, sxr, superjet, etc... even though many hulls are based on the same layout, fitment/custom work is applied as they are not just bolt and go. Any ski that I have ever owned, I wrenched on for some reason or another, no getting around it. A aftermarket hull with a Yamaha will be a lot easier to find parts and mod as opposed to a Krash motor.

This is just my opinion anyway.
    Thanks! But, the jet ski life is nothing new to this old dude! I've been riding and wrenching as a hobbyist for more years than I care to admit.. Every ski I have ever owned needs a wrench from time to time. No doubt most that own stand up skis become fairly proficient keeping these machines on the water.
    Last edited by JSNate; 02-04-2020 at 03:20 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

Thanks! But, the jet ski life is nothing new to this old dude! I've been riding and wrenching as a hobbyist for more years than I care to admit.. Every ski I have ever owned needs a wrench from time to time. No doubt most that own stand up skis become fairly proficient keeping these machines on the water.
    I wasn't talking about you Nate! LOL

I know you've been doing this for a long time as well as myself. I was simply answering back to E350.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information