Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

Re: Krash 50 Cal Foot Rocket Rider Review

i dont have any personal experience riding a krash hull but i know someone who bought the RTR 50 cal and has had nothing but absolute issues with his. the fit and finish sucked, engine had issues, pump, etc an entire laundry list of things was wrong with it. ive definitely heard lots of mixed emotions about the krash skis. they do however look like they ride awesome and the krash team goes huuuuuge. seen them at daytona free ride last year and this year.

a ski i did get to spend a little time on at carolina beach freeride was the air blair fix steer. i was pleasantly surprised at how well that ski rode, very predictable and stable. and very comfortable
    Last edited by fastgtfairlane; 07-18-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    96 superjet- rockered, -4, wide tray, adjustable footholds, kv148 mag setback pump, skat 7/14 impeller, rrp adjustable pole, blowsion ovp steering, 62t/62t, ada head, zeel A02T cdi, dual 44s, boysen power reeds, TNT SS chamber

93-x2, newmiller ported SP750, milled head, R&D single 46 intake, sbn46, fpp blaster chamber pipe, hooker 9/15, umi, rhaas squirrel cage, dakine foot straps

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JSNate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fastgtfairlane View Post
    i dont have any personal experience riding a krash hull but i know someone who bought the RTR 50 cal and has had nothing but absolute issues with his. the fit and finish sucked, engine had issues, pump, etc an entire laundry list of things was wrong with it. ive definitely heard lots of mixed emotions about the krash skis. they do however look like they ride awesome and the krash team goes huuuuuge. seen them at daytona free ride last year and this year.

a ski i did get to spend a little time on at carolina beach freeride was the air blair fix steer. i was pleasantly surprised at how well that ski rode, very predictable and stable. and very comfortable

Thanks for the input, Fast. And, I really like the Air Blair hulls as well.. Can't imagine a better handing ski in the surf. Adam rides surf primarily and he has tweaked his hulls over the years to near perfection as far as I am concerned. Both of my Darts were built in 2015 and both are pole skis.. I plan to add an Air Blair Fixxie to my fleet one day.

This morning things went much better with the Krash Foot Rocket. After pulling the spark plugs it was clear they were fouled. The ski is running really rich on the low end. After an email from Nick Barton and discussing my plan with BLrider, I felt confident enough to dial in the low jets a touch or two. (Kurt) BLrider understands two stroke tuning better than anyone I know, so we moved forward after getting his input. The ski immediately ran much better and slipped into a smooth idle while afloat. Since a few KV engines have had some issues, I wanted to consult Krash before tuning.. On my Yamaha based skis, I feel very confident tweaking the carbs and lake tuning. I just did not want to grenade this beautiful new ski.

A quick rip and we noticed a much more crisp and clear low end hit. She still takes a millisecond to clear. However, I feel we can easily tune that out if it continues after break in.

I rode my daughters Air Blair Dart today to compare and because I just love her ski. Her Dart is not as powerful as my ski, but it still rips. Just a lighter feel than my ski and less jumpy. I am healing from a torn bicep tendon surgery, so I felt it best to ride more carefully and not enjoy the additional torque that my Dart offers.

Comparing this Krash to the Dart's it is easy to see where each hull shines. The Krash has a heavier feel than the pink Dart and the weight felt to more rearward on the hull. Perhaps less flotation under the tray. This would make sense to allow the rider to push the tray downward and get a better angle for a rotation. The Krash and the Dart felt equally athletic and maneuverable. The Foot Rocket has a KV 997 PV engine and my daughters Dart is running a 61X 701 with a B-Pipe and a Blowsion head. So, the power advantage goes to the Krash.. My Dart with the Ported 760, Protec Pipe and head feels much closer to the Krash. Next ride I will have my Dart so I can more closely compare the feel.

For a flat water lakes the 50 Cal Foot Rocket is right at home. It didn't seem to ride nearly as nose up as our first ride. Perhaps we are getting a better feel and understanding body position. It takes focus and deliberate body English to keep the FR from porpoising when going in a straight line. But, not overly difficult to figure out. We also removed the bindings to allow more room in the tray to move around. No plans to flip this ski off a wake until she is fully broken in and perfectly tuned.

In short, the ski performed very well today and we logged another hour or so in the tray. Just one more thank of gas and we feel the break in process will be complete.

Yesterday we took the Foot Rocket out for more ride time. I feel pretty confident that the KV 997 is broken in fully. So far the only issue has been a couple of fouled plugs and that is due to the low end tuning. I still feel the low speed jets can be turned in another 1/8 or so.. We will most likely make another adjustment soon. However, the more we run this ski the more I appreciate everything about it. The KV engine is very, very powerful and the hit is amazing. This Krash has one of the most beautiful exhaust notes of any ski I have heard. It is a cracking and serious noise that let's anyone within an earshot understand that this is a special machine.

The hull dynamics are best suited for tricks and low speed maneuvers. She stays hooked up easily with the pump loaded. You can pull the trigger on command and enjoy the hard punch of instantaneous thrust. I can't say enough good about this mill.. Time will tell as far as reliability. But, for now I am very impressed.

I think this ski would be fine in surf, but I prefer the easier handing of the Air Blair Dart for overall free-riding and how it handles big waves. But, the Dart was made for the surf and this Foot Rocked is the Krash "flat water" hull better suited for inland lakes as promised by the company. I really want to feel this KV977 in the Predator and 50 Cal hull. I think they will be better suited for the type of riding that I prefer.

At this point I would find it very hard to argue the bang for the buck with the RTP Krash skis. It would be impossible to build this type of ski with a PV engine this powerful anywhere near the MSRP of a new Krash. I am sold as far as the absolute value of this thing. And the fit and finish on this ski is top notch. One improvement that could be made to the hull is the hood design. It is a very tight fit to put the hood back on the ski. It takes steady hands and it can easily be banged against the pole because of the angle needed to install.. It has a solid seal and latch system, just a bit quirky in design.

With a reputable, local dealer on board with Krash, I may just have to add one to my fleet.
    Last edited by JSNate; 07-27-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Over six weeks of use and the Krash FR continues to impress.. We had a couple of small, easy to address issues. One of the pulse lines came off and it had to be re-attached and better secured with a small zip-tie.. And a small piece of the front flame arrestor broke off near the top bolt.. It is solid and not coming off. But a small piece did break off assuming from vibration. Also, one of the battery mount bolts has worked loose and came off.

Couple of things I think Krash can improve on is the odd angle of the Yamaha start/stop/tether on all models I have seen. It is rotated at such an odd angle that you have to contort your hand to reach the start switch. This is a pain when doing a deep water start after a fall. We have not tried to rotate it as of yet.. I haven't even checked to see if the OEM location pin is used on the switch. Also, we plan to shorten the pole this winter to give the ski more control and prepare the set up for flips and rotations.

The KV 997 is running strong and has been performing very well.. We have been making small adjustments to the low speed settings on the Mikuni's to work out a low end rich gurgle. Before the adjustments the ski had a slight delay as it had to clear fuel. We also found it would foul plugs quickly if you didn't frequently clear with stabs of the throttle. We feel we are getting closer to adjusting that issue away.
    Last edited by JSNate; 08-28-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Any back flipping yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rc-hx View Post
    Any back flipping yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No back-flips yet. He is riding it more aggressively each ride and last week he did re-install the foot bindings. Season is coming to an end and the flips may have to wait until next season.

A little riding video from last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CSjgnNpW_k

Frequent Poster

He looks like he getting a good feel for the ride.
    Both very nice setups.
    Need to get a boat wake jump session vid for us.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Blog Entries

The angle for the start switch is so that you do not bump the stop switch as easily while ridding. Most freestyle and surf riders put there start/stop in the same spot.

Keep the reviews and videos coming!
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information