New to me '92 750 SX. Some cooling and electrical issues I'd like to address. - Page 2
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: New to me '92 750 SX. Some cooling and electrical issues I'd like to address.

Back again! I put a new headgasket on and noticed that my compression dipped about 5 psi on each cylinder, but my compression gauge isn't the best (still in spec at 137 and 147). Any ideas? I did test the head on a piece of glass to make sure it wasn't warped, and it sat completely flat.

Here's the old gasket, the cylinders/pistons, and the undersite of the head/domes. Anyone noticing anything funky? Should be able to water test this weekend when my hitch carrier comes in!

IMG_1727.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg

Thanks for the help, looking forward to getting this running stock and then modding/being a more active member here!
    Last edited by topsecretchatz; 07-11-2019 at 05:03 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: New to me '92 750 SX. Some cooling and electrical issues I'd like to address.

Kind of feeling as though I'm talking to myself in here. Am I doing something wrong or not being clear in my descriptions?

Anyway, I took the ski to the river yesterday with my new and correctly torqued headgasket. I am having the same symptoms. Little to no flow from the pisser, but also not getting hot enough to sizzle water on the motor after 10 or so minutes of hard riding.

So, I placed the ski on the trailer while it was still in the water, and ran it at idle with some revs for about five minutes. There was ZERO water leaking from anywhere in the engine or fittings (from what I could see), so I pulled the tube (the one going directly to the pisser, since the heat sensor is bypassed) off of the pipe sticking vertically out of the headpipe, and took video of what is coming out. Here is a link to said video:

This seems like restricted flow to me, correct? So where should I check now? Under the intake grate? The ski runs great so this is extremely troubling to me, and I feel as though I've gone through the motions to fix what is usually a small/easy problem.

Thanks!
    Last edited by topsecretchatz; 07-16-2019 at 10:46 AM.

pull the headpipe... if that's not the corrosion problem.. then yes, look at the pump housing. start squeezing the water lines also.

PWCToday Newbie

Thank you sir, I'll start at the headpipe tonight!

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by scottw090 View Post
    Do not use the flush port on the head as method of diagnosis of an issue. that is not what it is for.

It is possible the temp sensor has failed and that is why it was bypassed. you can connect it back in and run it in the water and see what happens..

Your stream from the pisser on a stock cooling set up is not going to be super super strong, but it should be constant. a good trickle. Have you put a compression gauge on each cylinder? do you ever see steam coming from pisser?
    Not to thread hijack but should there be steam coming from the pisser?

lol no.....a steady stream of water is all you should see....anything else or nothing at all... is a problem
    Last edited by aggrovated; 07-16-2019 at 09:50 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Chadimac22 View Post
    Not to thread hijack but should there be steam coming from the pisser?
    Aggro is correct. See the video I posted above of my ski. Even though water is coming out (albeit intermittently) itís not enough for one to be confident that the skiís cooling system is working.

I got my exhaust system off and separated the muffler, exhaust pipe, and expansion chamber per the shop manual. Cleaned the carbon deposits out and made sure all orifices were clear. I should have new gaskets delivered Thursday so Iíll be able to put everything back together, and then itís off to the river Friday.

Hopefully thatíll fix my problem and I wonít have to dig into the pump!

PWCToday Newbie

I decided that while I was at it, I might as well take off the exhaust manifold to clean it out/clear it out since I had gaskets coming for it as well. I also sprayed put out its cooling hose with compressed air. I then took a hose off of the pump/nozzle and sprayed through it.
    IMG_1819 (1).jpg

I noticed this corrosion that might be blocking some orifices in my exhaust head pipe. Is this normal or is this blocked up? Scraping didn't do too much but I didn't want to go too hard before confirming.
    IMG_1822.jpgIMG_1822.jpg

looks very clean!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information