97 sl700 runs poor. Some times hits a wave and takes off.
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

97 sl700 runs poor. Some times hits a wave and takes off.

I bought a 97 sl700 late last fall. It ran poorly so i replaced fuel lines ,filters and carb kit. Just wont get on plane well and acts like it half throttle or less. I hit a wave a couple times and it takes off briefly but then cuts right back. I
    .it only has a low speed jet that is adjustable and i can not find a sweet spot.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Benflynn's Avatar

Re: 97 sl700 runs poor. Some times hits a wave and takes off.

Bet it’s the stator

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Welcome to the site.

DO a spark test, you may be running on only one cylinder. Polaris 700's are known for ignition related issues.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    Welcome to the site.

DO a spark test, you may be running on only one cylinder. Polaris 700's are known for ignition related issues.
    I'll bring my spark testers and watch them. Both plugs look like they are burning after pulling them but i guess it may. Whats inside the box on the battery? All the wires go to it. Anything replaceable or is it the whole box you replace?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Benflynn's Avatar

That’s the ebox, has cdi coils starter relay regulator and the lr modular and what not are all in there. You can ohm out ur likely broke stator from there. Work on a Yamaha and the electrical system on that sl will seem a damn joke

Frequent Poster

Does it have a primer? I have a problem with by backup pro, it does the same thing. But it's been getting worse. If I pull the plugs when it gets like that, two of them are soaked in gas. The primer is working as a venturi and pulling in more fuel through the lines and making it run really rich because the primer pump is not sealing. When the engine revs up, one cylinder firing properly is enough to rev the engine up, causing it to suck in a ton of air and dry the plugs for a little bit. But once I let off the gas it loads back up and won't run right.

Mine ran decently and now it's gotten far worse. Hopefully I'm right, waiting for my primer pump to show up, should be here tomorrow. As soon as it starts misbehaving like that shut it down and check the plugs immediately and see if they are soaked.

Does it run right at all? Or is it something that starts going wrong after a little bit?
    90 Superjet - Coffman pipe, other mods
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - stock graphics, just ported and polished
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - black top, cylinders milled .020, ported, polished, watcon cooling
    95 Kawasaki 750 sxi - R&D pipe, ported, polished, bored 1.5mm over
    01 Polaris 600 sc xp sled - Stock

PWCToday Newbie

No primer. It runs fine up to half throttle and both heads get to the same temperature, starts instantly. Pulled the plugs and they both look good. I put a fresh set in just in case one was breaking down under load. I took the carb apart again and cleaned and put air to it. I think I may have moved a piece of dirt. Before it would come up on plane but just didn't have full throttle. It runs worse now so I really think it's in the carb. I hope anyway.

PWCToday Newbie

I have both cylinders firing. Both heads seem about the same temperature. If the stator was bad I should loose spark on one side. It only seems to act up past half throttle.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Check ac voltage output of the excitor on the stator. Start it up, rev it up. What is the voltage and what does it do when you rev it?
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan.evans View Post
    I have both cylinders firing. Both heads seem about the same temperature. If the stator was bad I should loose spark on one side. It only seems to act up past half throttle.
    You may be in limp mode. Some Polaris skis will go into limp mode if they are low on oil, fuel, overheat, etc. Not to say you are, but "if" your machine thinks you are, it then puts it into limp mode.

Does your MFD work? Try unplugging it. Also check voltage at the battery while running. Should be over 12.5

Going by memory, I think there is a grey wire inside the e-box you can unplug from the terminal board. This will disable the rev limiter.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information