pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

View Poll Results: If you are selling this waverunner, and had this problem happen, would you fix it, or just lower the

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fix it

3 42.86%
  • Sell it "as is"

4 57.14%
    Xtremehp

Remove 2001 Yamaha GP1200R Engine

How hard is it to remove the engine in a 2001 Yamaha GP1200R? I have to replace the drive shaft under the engine, and also the one that attaches to the impeller. I already have the rear one out, and now I have the inner one. Whats involved, and how long of a job is this? Any help would be appreciated. Also, if you already did this, where do I start, and if you have directions on which parts come off when, it would help!! Thanks!! ~~Wayne~~

I am doing this because the splines on the shaft of the impeller are worn down, and according to a few pro-shops, you must do both at the same time or you will ruin the new shaft!!

You don't have to remove the engine.

Just remove the exhaust and un-bolt the engine mount from the hull and slide the entire engine forward a few inches. that should be enough to remove the sub-shaft. It's a 2-3 hour job at least. You will have to re-align the engine to the sub-shaft. get a service manuel.

http://www.drna.org

I'll keep my guns and my money..
    You can keep your "Change"

99 Yamaha XL1200 Limited
    Riva Stage 2

Xtremehp
    JetEd, I have a service manual on CD, and the exhaust is not problem!! How hard is it to re-align the engine?

Xtremehp
    Is this recommended by other people also? Can anyone else say this did this, and how hard was it to do?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home bad93blaster's Avatar
    i havent changed the shaft but i just put the motor in mine but jeted is right just pull the exhaust and slide it forward about a inch the exhaust is kind of a pain with a couple of bolts all i used to align was a 6 inch scale as my straight edge check both sides and top of the coupler it is real simple to do

adam

ps: what are the chances of u burning me a copy of that cd

Xtremehp
    Adam, I am doing all of this from prior automotive knowledge. I had the CD at one time, but must have mis-placed it, and now that I need it, can't find it. At least everything is out, and I am now waiting on the new parts to come in!!

PWCToday Regular
    you have to slide the motro forward so that you can remove the intermediate shaft.

When I do this I undo the 8 bolts that hold the mounts to the hull - unlike the 4 motor mount bolts - these bolts don't break - and if you do it this way your alignment doesn't have to be redone (you should check it but it should be OK)

Ok so no the challenge is getting access to those 8 bolts to undo them - I bet that will take more than 2- 3 hours work for the average backyard mechanic - I'd suggest you plan for a complete Saturday or Sunday

on the SBT web site www.sbtontheweb.com there is a complete engine removal procedure - you do not have to remove the engine but the 1st couple of steps are what you will need to do to get access to the bolts so you can slide the motor forward

Xtremehp
    Philip, I have already remover the mid-shaft, and am awaiting the new parts. I just took the 4 motor bolts out, and will have to use a tape measure to get the engine right again. Im sure it's not that hard. Once the engine is back in place, everything will go back together quick. I have alot of mechanic expierence as I used to be one, so I had the mid-shaft out in 1 1/2 hours. It helps to have the right tools for the job. Deep sockets, pry bars, torque wrenches, ect. I am just a little worried about putting the engine back. Im sure it will work out though, as there are many ways to check alignment!!

well ya f'd up a little bit.

you really just needed to remove the 8 bolts holding the engine mounts to the hull.

BTW, when you align the couplers you do it without the rubber installed. Once you get them aligned you remove the 8 bolts, slide the engine forward and then install the rubber and re-mount the engine.

http://www.drna.org

I'll keep my guns and my money..
    You can keep your "Change"

99 Yamaha XL1200 Limited
    Riva Stage 2

Thread Information