Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

97 1100 STX dies at idle

Hey guys, so I purchased a double trailer with what was essentially 2 free jet skis on top of them. The Kawasaki has decent compression (105-110 on the three cylinders, where 120 is stock), I did a 40:1 premix solution, and the spark plugs are new. So basically the issue I am having is when I start it up with the choke fully out I put it in real quick where one of two things happen: either it bogs down and dies in a couple of seconds or the RPM increases dramatically and it doesn't bog down and die (well I don't leave it on at that high cause I am afraid of overheating it). So what do you guys think? I have never messed with carbs in my life, is it that?

I dream skis

Re: 97 1100 STX dies at idle

'97 1100 STX still uses the cdkII carbs before they went to the Constant Velocity CV version. That's good news, as many owners think those were the better carbs, and are easier to rebuild than the CV version.
    You should do a bit more testing, but if the ski sat for many years, assume you need to rebuild the carbs, check fuel tank, filters, hoses, and especially the oil feed pump and hoses while you're at it.
    I assume you are testing on the trailer, with garden hose, or no water cooling at this point. It will rev up real easy under no load. Be sure the throttle physically closes back to idle position... it won't take much throttle to rev high on the trailer. They need some choke to start if they haven't been run in a while (don't know about Florida... maybe it doesn't need much choke.... I live in Minnesota.) You could try backing the trailer into the water, with ski strapped tight and try some warmup, and idle tests with the pump in the lake.
    OLDGUY sez..... "The older I get, the better I was !

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 97 1100 STX dies at idle

Will do, thanks!

Thread Information