• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DataPak
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Jun 2019

1996 slt 780

Hey guys I just picked up a 1996 SLT 780, it runs good starts right up I was just curious as to what I should see for top end speed and RPM I took it out and with just me on it(185lbs) it would only do about 36mph(on the MFD), I kind of expected a higher speed out of this unit as it came with the tow point to tow tubes. Does this seem right? I didn't see what the rpm was but I plan to take it out again in a day or two and will check that then.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
  • pro785
    Frequent Poster
    • Aug 2010

Re: 1996 slt 780

Not right, should be about 50mph on the MFD. IIRC rev limiter should be around 7000.
    90 Superjet - Coffman pipe, other mods
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - stock graphics, just ported and polished
    98 Polaris Pro 785 - black top, cylinders milled .020, ported, polished, watcon cooling
    95 Kawasaki 750 sxi - R&D pipe, ported, polished, bored 1.5mm over
    01 Polaris 600 sc xp sled - Stock

Comment

• 785 lugs
      Resident Guru
      • Feb 2005

what rpm is the motor turning

Comment

• DataPak
        PWCToday Newbie
        • Jun 2019

Motor is maxing out at 6250rpm on the MFD and still registering 34-36mph even with two people on the ski instead of one. It also seems sluggish off the start(especially compared to my friends SeaDoo 800 with trim. He destroys me off the hole shot. It also didn't want to idle once it was warm. This is my first PWC so I'm new to these but not motors. If anyone can lead me towards a free owners/service manual for this that would be a great help. Carb settings I'll need for sure. Thanks

Comment

• RLHDWEPWCGUY
          PWCToday Newbie
          • Jun 2017

You should be seeing about 6450-6550rpms. 6250 is what the 750's run. & at 6250 you should be seeing close to 45. The MFD may have issues, use a GPS of some kind. The rpms you are down could be from a number of things, carbs & fuel pump may need attention (rebuilding) pump bearings could be going bad dragging the motor down a bit. I don't know what kind of fuel you have in Canada, but don't ever use 87 octane that has ethanol in it, a 780 engine WILL self destruct using it. Also do a compression check before you use it again, there could be a cylinder with low compression pulling down rpms. When these skis were new they had very good low end power.
          2006 Kawasaki 15F
          1991 Wetjet Sport II
          1992 Wetjet Sport II Spirit

Comment

• DataPak
            PWCToday Newbie
            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by RLHDWEPWCGUY View Post
            You should be seeing about 6450-6550rpms. 6250 is what the 750's run. & at 6250 you should be seeing close to 45. The MFD may have issues, use a GPS of some kind. The rpms you are down could be from a number of things, carbs & fuel pump may need attention (rebuilding) pump bearings could be going bad dragging the motor down a bit. I don't know what kind of fuel you have in Canada, but don't ever use 87 octane that has ethanol in it, a 780 engine WILL self destruct using it. Also do a compression check before you use it again, there could be a cylinder with low compression pulling down rpms. When these skis were new they had very good low end power.
            Im going to do another compression test on it tomorrow, compression was reading 135/135/125 front to back without the throttle opened up, I'll check it again tomorrow. I looked into the intake and I noticed a fair sized chip/ding in the impeller so I'm going to replace that as well as the wear ring while I'm in there. I'm going to fiddle with the carbs later this week as well, if it won't idle right it doesn't surprise me to loose a few hundred rpm at the top end.

As for few I don't know what the previous owner ran in it but I did add about 2L of 87 octance with Ethanol. I can get 91 in town but im not sure if it's Ethanol free cause I never look at that side of the pump lol. I will only add 91 octance after this. I also added a gan of seafoam to the gas before taking it out last night

Comment

Working...
            X