Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

New 2018 Kawasaki 15F not sucking water for jet

I had a 2004 12F that I loved. I bought this about a month ago thinking it would be the same thing just a little faster. When I goose it from a stop it acts like it's struggling to get water in the pump. Now, I go about 300 lbs if that matters. If I take off slower I can get slowly on a plane and then it runs great once planed out. Yesterday I took my wife and kid out on it. Now that's about 500 lbs of weight. We couldn't get on a plane. It just revved and revved like it couldn't get water. The pump was certainly submerged in water. How does this happen? Or is there a bigger problem?
    I am extremely disappointed. My 12F did not have this problem.
    Thanks,
    Don.

Re: New 2018 Kawasaki 15F not sucking water for jet

sounds like its cavitating. check your impeller and pump seals.

PWCToday Newbie

Can you give me a little better description of what that means? It's under warranty and I can take back to the dealer but after the way they prepped it I don't have a lot of trust in their service department and would like to come in being able to talk in their language.
    They messed up two things in the prep. But I believe nothing is done to the pump or impeller at prep. Mostly just handlebars.

take a flashlight. look way inside the back of the pump behind the jetski and look for signs of wear. ie: big scratches and or chunks missing from your impeller blades...... but even if you don't see anything, it might be the seals that you can't see unless you remove the pump housing.

eh, now that i think about it. just bring it back to the dealer and tell them it's 'cavitating'. they'll know what to do.
    they have to remove the pump and probably replace the pump seals or even the impeller seal.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

If your ski obtains a similar max RPM that your 12F had (not sure where it tops out, but probably around 7500 RPM) but doesn't accelerate well at that RPM or get on plane then there's a 98% chance that the problem lies within the pump unit.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday Newbie

When it finally does get on plane, it runs great. Same RPM level (around 7500 rpm). But taking off from a stop fully loaded it just revs like it is in neutral with nose slightly in the air.....unlike when it's on a plane (riding solo) and parallel with the water. Can't even get on plane. Called the dealership and they said they would put it in the water but insist I must have sucked up something. During break in it was just me on it and I mostly putted around with some varying of the throttle.

Thanks for the advice. I am hating this new purchase. At setup they screwed up the handlebar installation and then also when I turned left at idle it revved the engine. Found out throttle cable not adjusted right. I fixed both issues but this pump is clearly out of my comfort level. I've already started putting calls in for pricing on a new Yamaha FX HO. Mostly I am regretting ever selling my never once back in the shop 12F.
    Last edited by Deagle10; 06-24-2019 at 02:04 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by Deagle10 View Post
    Called the dealership and they said they would put it in the water but insist I must have sucked up something.
    It happens a lot and can cause this problem. But if they don't have any other evidence then it's premature to make this diagnosis. Without any other evidence and without looking it there's no way to tell if it is damaged or if it is a faulty install/defective part.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for all of your help.

I sold it. Advertised it yesterday morning and sold it last night. Was full up honest with the buyer about my 3 person riding experience. He was buying for his 160 pound son and said it would never even get ridden 2 up. He wanted to just pay and pick it up. I insisted that he take it for a ride first. And I again gave him my reasons for selling and how it did not work right with my family. He took it for a ride, then I rode it in front of him to show how it performed with a 300 pound guy on it. He was thrilled, and said it was under warranty anyway. He got a two hour new machine at a fantastic price. I don't have to deal with the dealer. And I can start looking for something that better suits my family needs. I'd say winner/winner but I'm definitely the loser in this episode.

PWCToday Newbie

Now on to what should I buy now? I don't want supercharged.

PWCToday Newbie

2018 ... How many hours ? Does not seem normal for a ski that new in the same family as you 2004 12F to perform like that. Something sucked up in the pump sounds more likely. I had a Yamaha 500 a ling time ago that had a similar issue. Only when I replace the impeller did I find a chunk of wood wedged in the vanes of the pump. You have sold it so the real issue no longer matters. Curious ... why did a dealer have a 2018 used in the first place. First owner have the same problem ..
    I only say this to suggest .... Try another Kawasaki 1500 but do a test ride first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information