Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

2015 Superjet Carb/Tune Question

2015 Stock Superset w/ No Mods. Newbie to Carb Issues

Ski runs awesome except when initially taking off. Doesn't matter warmed up or cold. If you feather the throttle you can get it to hook up. Feels like a fuel starvation issue maybe blockage.

I understand there is a low and high speed screw and pop-off. Where do i start and is there is simple "try" before diving into the carbs. And is there anyone shop recommendations in So Cal Inland Empire.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: 2015 Superjet Carb/Tune Question

What fuel are you running? Ethanol?

Newer SJ carbs are not tunable. The high and low speed screws are capped, and a stock ski should run fine as is...

Sounds like you need a carb rebuild (Probably due to bad diaphragms from ethanol)
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

All the newer SuperJets which come with the Anti-Tamper (Welsh) Plugs blocking access to the Low and High Speed Adjustments have this issue.

Yamaha did this to meet EPA Regulations so the Low Speed is set Lean to produce better Emissions for the EPA. The downside is that the Engine always runs lean at start-up even when warm.

Some Owners live with this issue, but most remove the Welsh Plugs from the Carbs and then turn the Low Speeds out about +1/4 turn to get rid of the Lean Hesitation.

Since the Carb internals are already 5 years old, you'll have to remove them for cleaning and rebuilding and then you can also remove the Welsh Plugs while you're at it.

Use authentic bonafide original OEM Mikuni brand Mikuni rebuild kits. Don't cheap-out on carbs kits. You'll thank me later.

Search the Forum for Welsh Plug removal. Tip: A Slide-Hammer will make it easier...

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the response. Great info. I just run 91 from Terrible's 50:1 mix.

Not that i can't do the carbs but where is a good place to take the ski in So Cal or Havasu? Would rather just get it fixed quickly and correctly. I'm tired of getting dump every time I go to take off.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Yep this is what happens with the SJs as set up from the factory. Lean for emissions, which can further be made worse by running 40:1 instead of 50:1 gas/ oil. Larger % of oil means leaner. In one day at our lake, we had this issue happen simultaneously when my friend and I were going out on our 2009 and 2014 SJs. Happened at the exact same moment. Later on in the day the 2016 in our group had it happen as well.

I have gotten so accustomed to it, and can easily feather the throttle and blip right through it usually. I call it my ski's anti theft device.

I've got a second set of oem carbs which I drilled out the plugs on, put in the t-screws, and adjusted the jetting and screw settings. Eventually I'll swap over to those.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.8mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [47.8mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1998 SXI PRO:
    3DR hull mods [TBD]

Thread Information