Kawasaki SXI-R PRO 800 - Page 2
pxctoday

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 90
  1. #11
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Waxhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    gold coast
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,740

    Re: Kawasaki SXI-R PRO 800

    Quote Originally Posted by driftmaster View Post
    Good curve
    Www.waxracingproducts.com
    All your billet vintage parts in one place

  2. #12
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago / Portage, MI
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,474

    Re: Kawasaki SXI-R PRO 800

    Nice build.

    Just passing along a few notes from the ported 800 builds my brother and I did. I'm bringing this up because I see the small tank. When you upgrade the power in this hull and start going above 54 or so, depending on your set up the hull can start to porpoise violently. This is made worse if you take weight off the nose and made better if you add weight / hull extensions / skat trak intake grate. We found what this ends up doing is bringing you down one of two paths. One is a freestyle type ski where you make the nose as light as possible and everything is geared towards low end. The ski can be made super maneuverable and jumps off wakes ok too. My brother's freestyle pro feels the closest to a 2008+ SJ I have felt of any ski, even 96-07 SJs. However these mods make the porpoising very bad at high speed and you just have to live with it. The other route is buoy ski. With the appropriate mods you can get this ski to handle 80% of like a sxr at half the price. In that configuration it has tons of nose pressure and feels glued to the water. We have found pros make a really good recreation ski with limited power and mods on a stock hull, really good freestyle type ski with ported 800 power, and an excellent buoy ski with ported 800 power.

    Also with a little work the Nynja C4 pipe fits. And I'm sure therefore any similar shaped TNT would fit as well without too much work.

    I just bumped my build thread up. Tons of info on there. If you have an idea of what direction you'd like to go with this hull, I'd be happy to post up my thoughts.
    Last edited by theVetteman3; 06-25-2019 at 07:12 AM.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.8mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [47.8mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1995 SJ MINT:
    [TBD]



  3. #13
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SE MI
    Age
    55
    Posts
    8,933

    Re: Kawasaki SXI-R PRO 800

    DM Curve.JPG

    Heres a visual on your curves.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

  4. #14
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SE MI
    Age
    55
    Posts
    8,933

    Re: Kawasaki SXI-R PRO 800

    Advent T3 Curves D14.JPG

    Here are a few of tha Advent T3 curves
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

  5. #15
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    2,298

    Re: Kawasaki SXI-R PRO 800

    Hey thanks again Vettman!, yes I did do some research before the build and read yours and ur brothers build thread. I'm not looking to go over 50mph, this is just a exercise ski. Looking for great arm yank out of the hole, buoy ski set up. So, yes please post any of your suggestions.

    BLRider, where did you get the grafts, Zeel site? Thanks.

  6. #16
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago / Portage, MI
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,474

    Re: Kawasaki SXI-R PRO 800

    Ok nice, with that in mind you can certainly build this ski up to be really fun. Basically what we found is that when you start to approach the upper speed limit of this hull, hull mods are mandatory. The only way the racers were able to get these around a buoy course was having them.

    On just a stock engine with a factory pipe, these skis have less low end than bone stock with muffler superjets. Way less, because the factory pipe hits high enough that it just can not compete with the low end from the 701 / big pump combo. This is from probably 0-15mph, or when the fp hits.

    For good low this is what I would recommend, based on what my brother is running
    800 with low end freestyle porting
    Stock carbs (it probably varies by type of a/m carbs if they are better than stock or not)
    VF3 reeds for quicker throttle response
    Advent T3 (Zeeltronic)
    might want to experiment with pipes. I believe the Nynja C4 and FPP limited chambers had about similar low end from what I can remember. It would be interesting to see how the yamaha mod pipe compares.
    11/17 hooker or 14/19 C75. The 11/17 lets the engine rev a bit more but feels like it has a bit less grab down below per my brother.
    80mm nozzle
    Small exits on cylinder exhaust port, exhaust mani, and head pipe entrance. Small diameters are better for low end. Don't hog them out. Chris knows this, I run his porting on my 550/800's engine.

    Purely for handling:
    Prowatercraft or Destroyer tubbies
    aftermarket steering plate or SJ pole and steering
    Hull extensions. Really what you need is the blade type extension from the side of the hole, with the slot cut in them. See pics of my ski. Water goes thru the slot just like some of the ride plates have. This helps lock down the rear corner of the hull more when turning, and makes the ski feel more sxr like. The more flat area of the hull extension, the more it will plant your nose. When running these, depending on the length of the flat area, you can get away with shorter ride plates.

    For overall fun and nimbleness, I really recommend the destroyer tubbies and SJ steering. The tubbies help to solve the biggest handling deficiency of this hull, its propensity to roll over when you turn and not pop you back up. It's just not as aggressive as newer skis like the 08+ SJ, and after riding a newer one, you need this. Same thing on all the older Kawi hulls. With these added you can ride much more normally with aggressive tighter turns and the ski will pop you back up. In my mind it takes the hull from almost unrideable to a very nice handling hull. A side benefit is this added nose support helps balance the hull extension and longer ride plate you'll be using, which will make the ski porpoise less and ride smoother.

    Pros are a constant balance of adjusting front and rear pressure to to keep the nimble handling which is so nice on this hull as stock.

    Have fun, let me know if you have any more questions. We have 3 pros running in my riding group now, not including my own. Chances are somebody's tried it.
    Last edited by theVetteman3; 06-26-2019 at 07:11 AM.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.8mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [47.8mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1995 SJ MINT:
    [TBD]



  7. #17
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SE MI
    Age
    55
    Posts
    8,933

    Re: Kawasaki SXI-R PRO 800

    Quote Originally Posted by driftmaster View Post
    BLRider, where did you get the grafts, Zeel site? Thanks.
    I made them in Excel, I read the numbers off of the pic in your first post. Always helps to have a visual.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

  8. #18
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    2,298

    Re: Kawasaki SXI-R PRO 800

    Quote Originally Posted by theVetteman3 View Post
    Ok nice, with that in mind you can certainly build this ski up to be really fun. Basically what we found is that when you start to approach the upper speed limit of this hull, hull mods are mandatory. The only way the racers were able to get these around a buoy course was having them.

    On just a stock engine with a factory pipe, these skis have less low end than bone stock with muffler superjets. Way less, because the factory pipe hits high enough that it just can not compete with the low end from the 701 / big pump combo. This is from probably 0-15mph, or when the fp hits.

    For good low this is what I would recommend, based on what my brother is running
    800 with low end freestyle porting
    Stock carbs (it probably varies by type of a/m carbs if they are better than stock or not)
    VF3 reeds for quicker throttle response
    Advent T3 (Zeeltronic)
    might want to experiment with pipes. I believe the Nynja C4 and FPP limited chambers had about similar low end from what I can remember. It would be interesting to see how the yamaha mod pipe compares.
    11/17 hooker or 14/19 C75. The 11/17 lets the engine rev a bit more but feels like it has a bit less grab down below per my brother.
    80mm nozzle
    Small exits on cylinder exhaust port, exhaust mani, and head pipe entrance. Small diameters are better for low end. Don't hog them out. Chris knows this, I run his porting on my 550/800's engine.

    Purely for handling:
    Prowatercraft or Destroyer tubbies
    aftermarket steering plate or SJ pole and steering
    Hull extensions. Really what you need is the blade type extension from the side of the hole, with the slot cut in them. See pics of my ski. Water goes thru the slot just like some of the ride plates have. This helps lock down the rear corner of the hull more when turning, and makes the ski feel more sxr like. The more flat area of the hull extension, the more it will plant your nose. When running these, depending on the length of the flat area, you can get away with shorter ride plates.

    For overall fun and nimbleness, I really recommend the destroyer tubbies and SJ steering. The tubbies help to solve the biggest handling deficiency of this hull, its propensity to roll over when you turn and not pop you back up. It's just not as aggressive as newer skis like the 08+ SJ, and after riding a newer one, you need this. Same thing on all the older Kawi hulls. With these added you can ride much more normally with aggressive tighter turns and the ski will pop you back up. In my mind it takes the hull from almost unrideable to a very nice handling hull. A side benefit is this added nose support helps balance the hull extension and longer ride plate you'll be using, which will make the ski porpoise less and ride smoother.

    Pros are a constant balance of adjusting front and rear pressure to to keep the nimble handling which is so nice on this hull as stock.

    Have fun, let me know if you have any more questions. We have 3 pros running in my riding group now, not including my own. Chances are somebody's tried it.


    From the direction I've been pointing from the experts, you pretty much summed up the pro, , thank you laying it out again. And please keep giving any input you have.

  9. #19
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    2,298

    Re: Kawasaki SXI-R PRO 800

    Quote Originally Posted by BLRider View Post
    I made them in Excel, I read the numbers off of the pic in your first post. Always helps to have a visual.
    Yes Visual help everything. Thanks

  10. #20
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    2,298

    Re: Kawasaki SXI-R PRO 800

    Ported pumps or cut the ridges out today. Waiting on parts atm, tbm flywheels, 8/16 and 9/17 skats, crank seals......oh and cylinder from Newmiller, its otw.


    The number plate needed a number.

    20190626_215635.jpg

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0