Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular Old man rookie's Avatar

Barracuda troubles

So my Barracuda comes off the trailer like a rocket. Runs great for 5 minutes, immediately up on plane. Then starts sputtering and falls on it's face. It doesn't die but will barely make it back to shore. It doesn't feel hot and the engine compartment seems clean & free of exhaust. Any ideas? Still new to pwc but fairly capable mechanic. Oh & it's still firing on both cylinders. Thanks for any help.

Re: Barracuda troubles

Just going to toss a few possibilities out there. Check your fuel filter, (probably just replace it no matter what condition it's in unless litteraly, like last week, you replaced it.) Replace your plugs too. Now that simple stuff is done, make sure there's no water in the fuel and that the pick up tube in the gas tank is still there (not rotted off) there is a lead weight on the bottom of the tube. Clean the carbs with genuine mikuni rebuild kits (they are expensive. But DO NOT go cheap on these, you will pop that motor). If you still haven't discovered the problem by now, you need to remove and inspect the fuel system. (Carbs, lines, filter, ect). It sounds to me like it's getting just enough fuel to run but not enough to make power. Continuing to operate the engine in this severe lean condition will permanently damage it. When you replace the plugs inspect the old ones. Black but not wet is how they are supposed to look. Anything else, tan, oily, completely or partially clean, sludgy, ect all indicate a problem. The fuel pump is bolted to the carb on 640s and 770s. The parts to rebuild it come with the carb kit. Make sure you replace the pop off spring and properly set pop off pressure.
    Last edited by Associated98; 06-19-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    Own:
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    94' Montego (my first) sold
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Daytona (the one that got away...) sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 clean and beautiful. You will be missed.
    97' Daytona 1000 sold
    99' TS770R sold

Appreciate the input

So after checking and cleaning the fuel system and plugs and finding no problems I think it is going into limp mode. The water coming out the pisser is what I would call very warm. The flow is weak at idle but does pick up with some throttle. I have backflushed and haven't gotten to the water yet to see if it solve my problem. I've read that I should have a water filter inline on my tigersharks but neither the Barracuda or Daytona have any filter or screen I can see. Anyone know where I can buy them? Been hunting but can't even find a picture of one.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Just search "inline water strainer" and find one with barbed fittings that fits your hose size. OR... if you don't ride in water full of debris, don't worry about it. None of the other brands came with one. Check your exhaust hoses, you might need to just pull them off and look thru them. Sometimes they blister on the inside and block exhaust flow.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Ok, thanks

Thread Information