Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: 1997 GTS 720 backfiring

Don't have a RAVE valve? did you mean rotary valve, and yes it was set at 147 and 65.5 per manual. I gap the plugs at 0.21. I did try the plugs at 0.25 and down to 0.18 to see if that made any improvements, it had no effect.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home kcr357's Avatar

Crazy suggestion-post everything youve done so far so people arent wasting their time telling you to check stuff thats already been covered.
    How many gerbils could a gerbil jammer jam if a gerbil jammer could jam gerbils?

"You build cheater motor's & still get smoked !!!!"
    "Its not your fault. You just don't understand what you're talking about. "

PWCToday Newbie

Why does the engine backfire,is the engine too lean for some reason????

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by homebrewdoo View Post
    Don't have a RAVE valve? did you mean rotary valve, and yes it was set at 147 and 65.5 per manual. I gap the plugs at 0.21. I did try the plugs at 0.25 and down to 0.18 to see if that made any improvements, it had no effect.
    I did mean to say Rotary Valve(RV). Not RAVE Valve. 720 motors do not have R.A.V.E. valves.

Is the ski backfiring through the carbs or the exhaust?

Also, if you feel the ski is running lean. You can turn the Low Speed Adjustment screw counterclockwise to richen the mixture up. But having the ski in the water and the pump under load is the best way to tune the carb. Running the ski on the hose puts zero load on the motor and is not an accurate method for tuning.
    What would Chuck Norris do?

PWCToday Newbie

backfiring thru the carbs only over 1/3 throttle, i am going to pull the carb apart and double check all passages, install all new parts

PWCToday Newbie

Are the 3 low speed bypass holes the same size?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I feel like you may have a stator issue. The only way to know for sure would be to take a dmm to the water with you for checking ac voltages while running. Why don't you run it on the trailer strapped down, hold it throttled up while it's crapping out for 20 seconds then pull the lanyard......like a throttle chop. Then pull the spark plugs and show us a pic.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Remove carb and disass'y. remove jets, 2nd time, to clean with carburetor cleaner, blow out holes with cleaner, used wire to insure all 3 holes were clear. note All 3 bypass holes are different sizes, one is .022 and the other two a smaller, I checked 5 or so other carbs in my shop and found that only one hole is .022 and the other hole is smaller. Rebuild using OSD kit with new valve seat/needle, checked pop-off 3 times at 35 PSI. installed on motor and test run on hose, ran better but still had some problem above 1/2 throttle (backfiring). Removed carb and installed 70 low speed jet, old one was 67.5. ran motor on hose, ran good up to 3/4 throttle. no backfiring. Took ski to river and ran it for 5 min on old plugs, installed new plugs set at .022, ran at 20 to 30% on trailer, removed new plug and took photo of tips, color looks good. Ran at WOT for a speed run, top speed was 45 mph on gps, No hesitation. need to adj low speed idle, will get a tack to set at correct rpm. Photo of plugs after running shows one black and one clean? Q. motor had set for over a year could oil inside motor be the cause of one plug to be black?

PWCToday Newbie

PWCToday Newbie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information